TWO M500 960 GB dives in my Apple Mac Mini MD388LL/A Desktop (NEWEST VERSION)

Kilobyte Kid

TWO M500 960 GB dives in my Apple Mac Mini MD388LL/A Desktop (NEWEST VERSION)

I already have tools, plans to add a single M500 and know my version has room for me to keep current drive while adding the M500 960GB. However, if I am going to do the work, I am thinking I may as well simply remove/save my current hdd and add TWO separate 960GB M500 drives as that would seem like heaven in terms of amount and ease of workspace.

I have a separate airport/time machine for a backup strategy, so my interest here is whether anyone knows if this is workable -- can I remove the drive there and insert TWO M500 drives for the Mac Mini MD388LL/A?

Anyone already do this? Experiences, thoughts.....? I am a video and photo hog. I use multiple 2 and 3 terabyte external hard drives already.....the space and speed would be valued if I could get nearly two gigabytes of seemless ssd for speed and reliability.
4 Replies
Community Manager

Re: TWO M500 960 GB dives in my Apple Mac Mini MD388LL/A Desktop (NEWEST VERSION)

Hi Anthonydr2, Thank you for contacting us today. What processor speed is your Mac Mini? Is it the 2012 model? It appears that the late 2012 model can be upgraded with two SSDs (this info can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP660) and you should have no issues having the type of set up your are wanting. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.
YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: TWO M500 960 GB dives in my Apple Mac Mini MD388LL/A Desktop (NEWEST VERSION)

I provided the model number and stated it was indeed the newest version. I undrrstand it can generally accomodate 2 hard drives.

Please re read my 2 nd paragraph above and advise. If no issues please let me know which model/part number that I can order where two of the 960 GB M500 drives would work together with best efficiency in my machine. Also will they show up as two separate drives or is there a way to combine them seemlessly?
Kilobyte Kid

Its the I7 quad core 2.3 newest version of 2012. I see the part number....but, have no idea if I can swap 2 m500 drives in and remove the current drive or if there would be issues with that and I should keep the current drive and limit my purchase to a single m500
Community Manager

You should have no issue swapping out both drives if that's the route that you would like to go. There would be no issues having two SSDs compared to a hard drive and an SSD. It's your preference on how you would want them to be set up. The SSD that is compatible with your system can be found here.

You could keep the SSDs as two separate drives or run them in a RAID configuration. Unfortunately, there's not much information that I can provide in terms of the methods of RAID.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?