Try Running Without an HD Paging File (Advanced Users Only)

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Try Running Without an HD Paging File (Advanced Users Only)

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

This tip is recommended for advanced users that have determined they have adequate excess RAM to cover the absence of a hard drive paging file. For the record, I have run without a paging file for years on XP 32 bit (with 3GBs of RAM) and I am now running Windows 7 64 bit (with 8GBs of RAM) without a paging file. This tip is only intended for people who use their PCs in a reasonable fashion (eg, minimal or no gaming and minimal or no heavy multi-tasking). Speaking for my XP and Windows 7 experience, I have never had any issues related to running an OS without a paging file as long as I had adequate RAM. See here:

no-paging-file.jpg

Make sure you have adequate knowledge of your PC hardware and OS before trying this. I would also recommend an image backup (just in case). Again, I have never had a problem in this area and you can always go back and re-enable the hard disk paging file if you decide this tip is not for you. In summary, since RAM reads/writes are much faster than hard disk reads/writes, you PC performance will improve; however, the improvement may/may not be noticeable to the naked eye. 

Good luck!

norepli

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Try Running Without an HD Paging File (Advanced Users Only)

Idea works for me.  I ran Windows 7 with no swap file on 4gb of ram (and I'm a gamer Smiley Tongue) before needing more and uppping to 6gb.

I don't think it will especially speed you up though.  With a default sized swp file and resource monitor running, I one day loaded every game I own (70 of them), one after the other (not at the same time - that would need a lot of ram) and the system never touched the swap file.  So the old idea of having a swap file because Windows will use it is either a myth or WIndows 7 doesn't work that way.  And because of that, you won't get a speed boost from disabling it - because the only time it will use it is if you were going to run out of memory anyway.

Disabling it, or shrinking to min, does save you precious space on your SSD though!  Shrinking your min/max to the WIndows recommended minimum to handle running of memory is probably safer.  It tells you your min when you set it to 0 (it varies from system to system)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

[ Edited ]

Hello targetbsp,

Thank you for your research, conclusions,and follow-up comments.

Best regards,

norepli

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Kilobyte Kid

I've done this (disable Page File on all drives) on three PCs that I own, all different hardware but at least 8GB of memory, and all Windows 7 64 bit. No problems that I can see, no difference whatsoever, after several weeks.

Kilobyte Kid

Disabling the Pagefile makes no difference when you have 6+ GB of RAM installed.  This is just a myth and like others have already said, if you have enough RAM the system won't even touch the Pagefile.