2.4 GHz Intel iMac Beeping On Restart

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

2.4 GHz Intel iMac Beeping On Restart

Hi,

I replied to the other thread with the same problems (http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Standard-DRAM-Memory/iMac-intel-core-2-duo-Beeping-noise-on-restart-with...) but foolishly read the rules after which says to create a new thread.

I have a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, it has 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM currently and last week I received a 2GB upgrade. I used the Memory Advisor tool to ensure I ordered the correct memory and I believe it's correct.

The number on the memory is: CT255664AC667.E16FE and the part number on my invoice is: CT715173.

The problem that I'm having is very similar to the one in the other post. The memory works fine for a certain amount of time and then fails. More often than not it's on restart but I've also had it happen when waking from sleep mode and I get the beeping noises on startup. If I revert to just the 1GB that was in previously it works fine. I've also tried using the new 2GB alone and the problem still occurs so i'm thinking it could be faulty?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Tags (1)
10 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: 2.4 GHz Intel iMac Beeping On Restart

Sorry the serial number is CT25664AC667.E16FE.

It seems a few people are having the same problems, any info?

Hi Mark,

The other post was pointing towards that user possibly having the incorrect speed for their system, however you seem to have the compatible part.  It is possible that it is unfortunately faulty.

Based on the testing you've done I recommend that you have the parts exchanged, and our Customer Support department can take care of that for you. Be sure to use the proper link for your location, and reference this thread so they can see the troubleshooting you have done.  When you call, please also ask the rep for a different chip build (they will know what you mean) to ensure we cover every possibility in one exchange.

US Customer Service

UK/EU Customer Service

I hope this helps and I'm sorry for any inconvenience it has caused.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Ok thanks, I'll call them in the morning.

Bit Baby

I have the same  problem w/ the memory that just arrived today for my iMac 2.4 Ghz.  I upgraded from 1GB to 2 x 2 GB modules.  How do I return the memory? You posted a couple of links but none of them have a phone number. In fact, the page even mentions a phone number "below" and there is none listed.  I've been buying memory for years and never had this issue. I would like an 800# to call so that I can ask for my money back.  

Hi bert33,

I'm sorry that you are also having problems with your upgrade.

The Customer Service phone number is available on the Contacts pages below.  You have to click on 'More Contact Options', scroll down and then click on 'Customer Service' where the phone number is displayed.

US Customer Service

UK Customer Service

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Kilobyte Kid

Question for the Crucial_* moderators....

Can you explain what exactly it is, when you say "different component build"?

Were the chips on the RAM sticks we got faulty, and the "different component build" version is new-and-improved?

Is it better tested? Since there have been several people with the same issues lately, does this point to a bad production run this time around?

Please elaborate.

Bit Baby

The 'different component build' is the suffix at the end of the part number, i.e., on this piece of ram:

CT25664AC667.16FE

...'16FE' is the component build.

We appreciate your feedback, as always.

First, know that all Crucial memory modules are tested 100% at both the component and module level and are built to the industry standard specifications (JEDEC) and carry a limited lifetime warranty. However, there are occasionally specific combinations of memory modules and systems that, together, do not function properly.  If you are having issues with memory compatibility, please contact Crucial Customer Support, let them know the issue you are having and which system you have, and if we cannot quickly take care of your issue we will gladly arrange for a replacement.

If you are looking to purchase new memory, the easiest way to avoid incompatibilities is to use either the Crucial Memory Advisor or Crucial System Scanner. All our knowledge about system compatibility is poured into these tools. Issues that arise from customer experience and feedback—like this thread are— are verified and reflected in these tools as well.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Katana,
US Moderator
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Hi, i myself have the same problem. I purchased a 2 X 2 GB RAM 800 Mhz upgrade kit for my iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo 1 GB RAM. I bought the kit which was recommended on your website for my specific model. Unfortunately, the ram doesn't work. The computer won't turn on, instead it makes a loud beeping sound that keeps repeating until i power off the computer. If the ram is tested, why is it faulty? My computer works fine with the 1 GB of ram i had previously installed. I've upgraded many computers before, including another 20" iMac i owned in the past using different Ram Module manufacturers and never had one problem. I'm disappointed.