Apple PC vs "PC"

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Apple PC vs "PC"

I would be gratefull if someone could set me straight about a point I have been trying to verify for some time now.

I maintain that the memory used in a standard Apple i86(PC) machine that has a standard specification quoted, will for all practical conciderations be the same as that for a 'standard' PC.

ie a DDR2-333 200pin SODIMM with (say) CL3 will be the same whether described as "for an Apple" or "for a PC".

Either way, please put me out of my misery, and help me to get a good nights sleep again.

Thanks.

I'd love to RTFM...........................
Just tell me where you F hid it!
Tags (1)
3 Replies
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: Apple PC vs "PC"

Ok, there are two ways of answering this. One is very short, the other is quite long. I will give you the short one. They are, for all intents and purposes, the same. This difference is that Crucial and other memory makers qualify their products to specific platforms in order to ensure compatibility. Sometimes, this means making some minor changes to the module to maximize it's overall quality level for that specific platform. With the ever changing evolution of modern computers and their respective hardware, it's near impossible to make a universally perfect device that works well with all of them, even if they are designed to JEDEC and ISO standards.  This in turn means that even though they are the same, there may be enough difference between them to cause conflicts of some kind. Hopefully, this helps clarify your questions.

Tags (2)
Kilobyte Kid

Many thanks for a good, succinct answer.....and for taking the time to make it.

Oldnewbie

I'd love to RTFM...........................
Just tell me where you F hid it!
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

You're welcome!