iMac intel core 2 duo Beeping noise on restart with Crucial memory

Kilobyte Kid

iMac intel core 2 duo Beeping noise on restart with Crucial memory

Hi,

I have an iMac intel core 2 duo 2.8 GHz, 800 MHz. A wile after upgrading the memory to 4 GB crucial memory ( two sticks of 2GB ea.) Safari froze. When I restarted the computer a gray screen came up and the computer started to make a loud repetitive beep in sets of 3. ( 3 beeps, pause 3 beeps etc..) 

I read some were that memory is the cause of that beeping pattern and switch the sticks back to the original memory the iMac came with and the computer seems to work fine. I switch back  to the Crucial memory and the blank screen and beeping noise comes back. (the computer won't start up)

Is it possible that the memory went bad?  I bought them not that long ago... the Crucial memory sticks I have are :

2GB 200PIN DDR2 SODIMM 256MX64PC2-5300

Thanks in advance for any help!!

-Luis

4 Replies
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: iMac intel core 2 duo Beeping noise on restart with Crucial memory

It is very possible that the memory could be bad. Especially since you restored the original memory and the system seemed fine. Can you post the complete Crucial memory part# so that it can be cross referenced to your system? What you can do next is test your memory using MemTest86+. Download the program to floppy and boot from it. You will need to have the Crucial memory installed, but only one stick first. If it passes, then try the other (all by itself). If it passes, test both together. If one of them fails, make note of which slot it fails in. Let us know your results.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

The part number for both sticks is : CT25664AC667  it has another number under this one not sure if this help, the number is : 649528733030.

The full description of the stick is a follow: 2GB 200Pin DDR2 SODIMM  256MX64PC2-5300

As for testing the memory, iMac's don't have floppy drives and the computer won't boot up once I install the Crusial memory. all it does is a gray screen will display with a sequence of beeping noise, that's all it does.

Can I get the memory replaced? 

Thanks,

-Luis

Hi Luis,

It sounds to me that you have the wrong speed for this model and would need PC2-6400 (800MHz) RAM but I don't think the memory you have would've worked in the first place and from what you are saying it has been working ok until recently?  Is that right?

Could you check what speed your original RAM is?  Either from the module label or go into System Profiler.  Once you confirm this we can advise the next steps.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

I also seem to be having the same problem with this memory. I have an 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac and upgraded with the same memory as Luis. The serial numbers match and I'm having very similar problems.

At first it works but upon restarting I get the beeping pattern and when reverting to the original memory it's fine. I received the memory a few days ago and have the problem occur 3 times since. Was this ever resolved?

Thanks

Mark