newly installed memory not recognized

Bit Baby

newly installed memory not recognized

Hi -

I have a Power Mac G5 (Dual 2.3GHz DDR2) Desktop/PC previously installed with 4 1 gig DDR2 SDRAM ECC PC2-4200E-444 installed in the 4 center slots.

I bought 2 2 gig ram DDR2 PC2-6400 ECC to put in the upper two slots (from you).

I installed them into the upper two slots but after restarting my computer they do not show up in the about this mac memory section.

Help?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: newly installed memory not recognized

Hello Bida,

We always recommend installing the largest modules in the first bank so you may have to move some of your existing memory to empty slots and replace it with the new 2GB modules.  The configurations for the Apple systems can vary so we would recommend referring to your manual.  From what I could find on the Apple website, you should fill the slots from the centre outwards; a module from each pair in the top and bottom set of slots.  Please view the manual (pg 51-57)on the PDF attachment for more details.

Also, please ensure that you align the notch between the gold pins with that in the slot and apply enough pressure for the holding clips to close around it themselves to ensure they are fully seated.

Please get back to us if the problem persists after trying the above.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

Hi and thank you -

after actually reading the manual I realized that what I thought about pairing was absolutely wrong (because I think I wrongly looked at a bad example the first time, and because I had all 1 Gig modules, I didn't get how the pairing worked).  After reinstalling the ram in the following configuration, all is great!  (I originally thought slots 1 and 2 were a pair).

slot 4 - (to be paired perhaps one day)

slot 3 - 1 gig

slot 2 - 1 gig

slot 1 - 2 gig

-----

slot 1 - 2 gig

slot 2 - 1 gig

slot 3 - 1 gig

slot 4 - (to be paired perhaps one day)

-Bida

Thank you for posting back with the solution so others can benefit from it! Enjoy the upgrade. Smiley Happy

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?