transferring system from HDD to SSD - files to large - but they're not !! Help

Bit Baby

transferring system from HDD to SSD - files to large - but they're not !! Help

Hi  I have just installed a 240gb  SSD  in the optical bay  and eventually got it formatted etc  so all good to go...or so i thought

Tried to 'clone' the HDD  onto the SSD  but getting weird issues,  the software acronis  seems to work ok  but i get the following issues

HDD is 1TB   and when I check on windows  its has about   550GB  of info on it  with OS/ windows 8 and a lot of music and videos !!

Now I'm looking to just transfer  the OS and windows 8  onto the SSD  in the hope that ,  they will then run quicker,  so  i go into acronis and s= clone,  pick the drive from  - 

BUT  wait  it shows the drive as having 890GB of info on it   (   not the 550gb  windows shows )  I know there can be hidden files but seriusly that large ??

so I take out / deselect  my music and video files  which come to 450gb

which should leave about 100gb in reality being cloned onto the SSD,   BUT  the esytem still thinks its tryig to send over about 500gb onto the 240gb SSD and rejects it saysing not enough disk space  !!

why is acronis shoiwng 890GB disk size for HDD when windows and file manager and all other systems showing 550GB 

How do i get it to just copy the OS and windows 8 onto the SSD   so i can get quicker boot times ??

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: transferring system from HDD to SSD - files to large - but they're not !! Help

I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced with your drive. At this time I think it may be best for you to contact us directly, so that we can troubleshoot more in depth. Our contact information can be found in my signature. I apologize for the inconvenience.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?