what slots do I put 2 memory sicks in

Kilobyte Kid

what slots do I put 2 memory sicks in

I was given an HP pavilion a6200n computer. It does not have any memory in. The motherboard is MSI, MCP61PM-HM. There are 4 slots for DDR2 memory. The two clostest to the processer are black in color and the two further from the processer are blue in color. I can not find anything that tells me what two slots to use if I put two memory stick in it. Another thing I would like to know is what is the maximun amount of GBs I can put in each slot. This computer has Windows Vista loaded on it. I do not know if Vista is 32 or 64 bits.

2 Replies
Community Manager

Re: what slots do I put 2 memory sicks in

Hi LarryD,

Thank you for contacting us today. Your system has four slots and each slot is capable of holding 2GB of RAM for a total of 8GB. If you have a 32 bit version of Windows Vista, however, your system will only see about 3 to 3.5GB of memory. You may determine what version of Windows Vista you have by following this guide. The RAM upgrades that are available for your system can be found here. Please let us know if you have any further questions about the upgrades we have listed. 

Best regards, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: what slots do I put 2 memory sicks in

Thank you Crucial_Yogiti,

The information you gave me helps. The four slots for memory on the computer I was given are all empty. The two slots closest to the proceser are black in color and the two slots further from the processer are blue in color. I read somewhere that I need to use the two blue slots if I'm only going to use two memorey sticks. This just does not sound right to me. I really need to know what two slots to use, I have two memory sticks that are 2 gig each for a total of 4 gig. Any help from anyone will be greeatly appricated.

LarryD