Couch to 5K (C25K) Running

JEDEC Jedi

Couch to 5K (C25K) Running

Anyone done or even heard of this?  I only heard of it today and it sounds great!  It's a running plan to build you up to being able to run 5Km's in 30 minutes after 8 or 9 weeks training.

I used to run in secondary school and I used to run between my house and Uni but running isn't something I can manage anymore.  I'm reasonably fit - I can go well over an hour on my exercise bike.  But running is hard!  Every year when the weather turns nice I try and get back into running by just running as long as I can and trying to better that the next time before giving up.  This plan is meant to condition your body to be able to run long distance by alternating running and walking in short bursts.  The goals look easily obtainable and indeed it says anyone should be able to manage it.  It seems really widely known if you google it - the NHS even recommends it!

You can get smartphone apps that time you and tell you when to switch between walking and running whilst playing your mp3 playlist at you.  I am definately going to give this a go!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
35 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Couch to 5K (C25K) Running

I'd just like to say ouch!  This is harder than it looks.

Want to be a Super User?

[ Edited ]

I'm running with a similar app, that combines an audiobook/radio theater type story with running exercises. It's called "Zombies, Run!", and tells the story of a small township that tries to survive after the zombie apocalypse. Since there's a lack of fuel and vehicles, communication between towns as well as supply gathering is done by runners, which is where we come in. You essentially listen to the story, run, gather supplies to build up your base, and every now and then (thanks to the GPS in your phone) zombies can be heard getting closer and closer to you as you are out on your runs, which forces you to sprint to get away from them.

The main reason I'm hooked on these is the story is surprisingly good, and provides great incentive to keep running and go for that next run. I have to find out what happens next! What is Runner #4's problem, and why is the quartermaster paranoid...? And yes, it uses the music and playlists on your phone as well.

You can either get the main app, or their Zombies 5K Training app, that takes place very early in the story line. So I'm doing the 5K thing, and when I'm in better shape than I am now, I will take on the hordes of undead. Both apps are on sale right now, but I have no idea how long that will last. Just look up Zombies, Run! in google play or the app store, it's available for both. Smiley Happy

Katana,
US Moderator
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

That sounds interesting - thanks I'll check it out!

Want to be a Super User?

If you do buy it, go to their website and sign up for Zombielink so you can sync everything to the website and manage your account there, or you won't get the full functionality and benefits from the app.

Zombies, Run! 2 is coming out on April 16, and will be free to everyone who already owns the main app. Supposedly it will continue the story in seven new mission, and then they'll release new missions every week to download as you advance through the plot. Smiley Happy

Katana,
US Moderator
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I'm using a free trial of rundouble atm and it has all sorts of web based stuff showing I managed to unintentionally run an impressive looking figure of 8!  What it doesn't have though... is Zombies!

It's a shame there's no demo.  i could do with seeing how well it behaves with my third party music player.  I might just sit here pretending to run during the 15 minute refund window to try it out. Smiley Very Happy

Want to be a Super User?

Their website has an FAQ, but all reports and reviews I've read says it seems to work best with Winamp. I've seen no issues at all.

Katana,
US Moderator
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Yeah it doesn't seem to work with poweramp unfortunately. Smiley Sad  It says only Winamp or Android music player 2.3.  I use Power Amp and don't even have the Android player as Cyanogenmod comes with its own Apollo player - which I seem to have broken anyway!  Meh, I'm happy enough in my own little world most of the time anyway.  I'll just imagine the zombies. Smiley Very Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Community Manager

Thanks for the Zombies, Run! suggestion too.  I bought it today (currently on sale!) and did the first run tonight.  I'm hoping for more of a story line and narration in further runs, but it still seems like fun.  Also kudos that it has a Windows Phone app!

JEDEC Jedi

I was aching today!  I get my legs aching but I was aching all over.  All this exercise I do and the first time I go for a run it breaks me. Smiley Very Happy  Think I might have to postpone tomorrows scheduled second run for a day or two!  And perhaps take it easier.  It's a little too tempting to go faster than you probably should when you see that you're only running for 60 seconds at a time.  Eight lots of that adds up though.

Want to be a Super User?