BSoD followed by a Disk Read Error - Crucial M4

Kilobyte Kid

BSoD followed by a Disk Read Error - Crucial M4

Since updating my nvidia graphics drivers I've been getting this strange issue.

Occurrence #1:
I was in hero loading screen on league of legends and alt tabbed to play some music. Computer just locked up, BSoD, restart. I am greeted with a "Disk read error - press ctrl+alt+del to restart" after successful POST. I restart, this time it shows me a different message, something along the lines of "No boot media, insert boot media and press any key to continue". I restart again and same thing shows.

I figured "**bleep**, ssd is dead". I turn off the PC and go on another PC to maybe see if somebody else has a similar issue and found a solution. After searching around for about 10 minutes and not finding anything useful I decide to try my PC again. Voila, it started up like nothing happened.

Just now, occurrence #2:

Playing borderlands 2 with a friend for about an hour. Entered a new area and somebody messaged me on steam, I alt tab, reply, and alt tab back into the game. Game started locking up, video would stop, audio would play.. Boom, BSoD, restart, "disk read error". I turn off the PC and wait 10 minutes. Everything back to normal.

11 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: BSoD followed by a Disk Read Error - Crucial M4

I have the EXACT issue, started happening 2 months ago. The disk has only 10 months of usage, so it started failing after only 8 months. Anyone knows if there's anything to do, software wise, or I just need to RMA it.
Kilobyte Kid

So I went back to old nvidia drivers, it happened again. So we can rule out the drivers now.
Kilobyte Kid

In my case, I tried changing the SATA cable, the SATA port, reinstalling Windows 7, then Windows 8, each time it hangs up about 40 minutes from boot.I then changed the disk and everything works perfectly. I sent an email to the tech support team, if there's nothing I can do software wise, I'll need to RMA it.
JEDEC Jedi

@Starroil: have you checked your firmware version?  The consistent frequency of your errors and the age fo your drive sounds like the old bugged firmware.  You need 0309 or newer.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Sounds like the 5184 hours firmware bug. Are you running firmware 0309 or 000F? These have the firmware fix. Quisp
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Target, Quisp. I don't know the version, but I never updated it, so it's from before I bought the hard disk, November 2011. I've been using it for about 10 months now, most of that time with the computer on 24 hours. 5184 hours is 216 days, so it makes sense, it started failing about 2 months ago, that's 240 days of almost 24 hours usage. I just read this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?278224-5000-hour-m4-bug-confirmed-by-Crucial I can't believe they realeased a device with such a bug! I'll update the firmware, thanks a lot!
Kilobyte Kid

So this thread seemed to have been highjacked and I still did not receive any insight to MY problem (which is not the same as Quip's). Any useful insight would be appreciated. You can see the firmware and other information at the top of the first screenshot. Do I RMA or what?
JEDEC Jedi

if you don't get help on here then it's best to ask Crucial (link to their customer services in my signature) because it likely means us forum users don't know the answer I'm afraid.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hey man, sorry for hijacking your thread. Luckly, my problem was solved with a firmware upgrade, thank guys. Regarding your case, I would backup what you have there, switch the disk to another SATA port and cable, format and reinstall Windows. If that doens't solve it, it's clearly a hardware issue, since you have the latest version. If so, RMA.