Blue screen after installation of Win 7 on Crucial M550 512 (no hardware issue, linux was fine)

Bit Baby

Blue screen after installation of Win 7 on Crucial M550 512 (no hardware issue, linux was fine)

Dear community people,

I have been trying to add the Crucial M550 SSD 512 gb to my almost one year old XPS 8700.

-I have tried two types of SSDs of the same model (M550 512), first one was the mSATA, second one was the normal 2.5 inch adapted in the 3.5 inch bay. 

-Both cloning (apricorn kit) and clean installation has been performed.

Problems,

First the mSATA, since I didn't get a mSATA adapter so I directly plugged it into the mSATA slot on the motherboard. It was recognized, and I was able to initialize it and did the cloning. After that, in BIOS I saw it was already the AHCI mode so I booted it up. Blue screened, no way to boot into windows 7.

(Then I tried a clean installation of win-7 pro sp1, everything cloned on the disk was wiped, installation was successful, and blue screened again when boot.)

Then I did a clean installation of Ubuntu 14.04 on this mSATA, everything was running great, awesome speed. 

Since I need windows and the drive was in good deal, I decided to get a 2.5 inch version and give it a try. 

Basically the same story, I tried clean installation of Win 7 (cloning was ignored because of time) and I was getting the blue screen again (picture). There was no way to boot into windows. In BIOS it shows the drive was on AHCI mode. I haven't install the Linux on this one yet, and I would assume it will be fine. 

So could anybody identify the problem and provide possible solution??

Thanks a million!! 

Yinbo

5 Replies
Bit Baby

Re: Blue screen after installation of Win 7 on Crucial M550 512 (no hardware issue, linux was fine)

Here is the screen with code

IMG_4262.jpg

Community Manager

Re: Blue screen after installation of Win 7 on Crucial M550 512 (no hardware issue, linux was fine)

Hi polalpha,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues installing your SSD.

I have looked in to this system for you and we have a really good sales history with very few returns against this system.  The issues you're having do actually sound like it's related to the AHCI drivers for your system.  I would recommend checking with Dell to see if they have up to date SATA drivers for your system. 

We know that the mSATA was working as you could install a different operating system on it.  It looks like it's possibly the same with the 2.5" drive.  I would recommend updating your drivers and doing the install again.  If you do have any other issues or questions, please just let me know.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I have experienced a similar problem where I had a dual boot, Windows 7 on a classical hard drive and Windows 10 on the Crucial MX500.   If I boot to Windows 10, everything works fine.  I can see and access the Windows 7 hard disk without an issue.  If I boot to Windows 7, I can get into Windows 7 and it runs until I access the Crucial MX500, then the system blue screens.

If the response it update your drivers, then tell me which ones, as far as I know all are current.  You need to me more specific about which possible drivers.

Bit Baby

In my case, it turned out to be outdated software/driver(?) for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) in Windows 7.  Even though I had done an update through Dell, and the update included an update to IRST, this was not sufficient to solve my issue.  I updated directly for the the IRST website and once installed the issue went away.   It only wasted 8 hours of my life.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Unfortunately, this isn't just Dell.  Pretty much all computer and motherboard manufacturers tend to cease providing updates to their drivers more or less the moment they stop selling that model.  So all you can really do is what you did and go to the website of the company that made the actual chips you need the driver for (in this case, Intel - who themselves discourage getting drivers directly from them in case your hardware is customised by the manufacturer!)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?