Crucial M500 SSD not compatible with new Dell Inspiron 7577 ???

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial M500 SSD not compatible with new Dell Inspiron 7577 ???

Hi,

I have a Crucial M500 SSD with firmware version MU05 that is not compatible with a brand new Dell Inspiron 15 (7577) laptop.  The laptop is running BIOS version 1.4.2.   The BIOS sees the SSD but Windows 10 does not see it.  However, Linux is able to see the SSD without any problems.

If I put in a different brand of 2.5" SSD or a standard 2.5" HD, it works fine in Windows and Linux.

Is there anything that I can do to make the M500 SSD work in Windows?  I've never seen this type of issue where the BIOS sees the SSD and Linux sees the SSD but Windows 10 does not.

If you do a google search for "dell 7577 2nd ssd not detected", you'll see a bunch of other people having the same issue as me.  

11 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial M500 SSD not compatible with new Dell Inspiron 7577 ???

Is this occurring when you are in Disk Management viewing your drives?  Until the drive is formatted in a manner that Windows understands (FAT or NTFS) you will not see the drive show up at all in Windows Explorer.

Kilobyte Kid

The SSD does not even show up in Disk Management.  It does not show up in Device Manager either.   It's as if the SSD does not exist.

The SSD is already formated as NTFS.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Try booting from a Windows 10 installer so we can determine if a pristine Windows environment  can see the M500.   You don't need to actually install Win10, you just need to get far enough into the install process to view the potential drives seen for installation.   You can download a copy of the Windows 10 installer directly from Microsoft.

If the M500 is not seen, then make sure Dell's UEFI settings have the SATA drive controller set to AHCI mode instead of Intel RAID and try the Win10 installer again.    If it still fails I would suggest loading the UEFI Default settings if possible and again set the SATA controller to AHCI mode & try the Win10 installer again.    If AHCI mode works, you may need to reinstall Windows on your boot drive.  I've seen posts where people claim a Registry hack can save you from reinstalling Windows, but I personally don't like that option.

Kilobyte Kid

I've updated the laptop BIOS to the newest version which is 1.4.2.  I restored the factory default settings for the BIOS.  By default, SATA is set for AHCI mode.  In the BIOS, it sees the SSD.  I booted up with a new Windows 10 installer ISO and it does NOT see the Crucial 2.5" M500. 

However, if I put a different brand of 2.5" SSD into the slot, the Windows installer sees it just fine. 

My Crucial M500 works fine in all my other systems.  It is not defective.

JEDEC Jedi

You could try disabling your NVME drive (and controller if possible) in the UEFI settings and try the Windows installer again on the off chance these two devices are somehow interfering with one another.

Outside of installing any updated SATA drivers from Dell's website or modifying any other UEFI settings and assuming the M500 is not encrypted, then it appears you have stumbled upon an incompatibility between the M500, Windows 10 and the Dell firmware.   Your best bet is to contact Dell's tech support to report the issue and hope they will assist you since your laptop is brand new.   Don't be surprised if they blame Microsoft or even Crucial for the issue.   Since it is a new laptop with Windows installed on it you could try to get them to report the issue to Microsoft themselves since they supplied you with it and it is not working correctly.  It sounds mostly like a Windows 10 issue which could belong to either Microsoft or Dell.  Good luck as I've never had any luck dealing with large companies.

If you are willing to erase the M500, you could try performing a Secure Erase on it on the off chance it will reset something which could be blocking Windows from seeing it properly.   Doubtful it will do anything.

This could be a sign for you to delve deeper into the Linux side of things ;-)

Kilobyte Kid

So I looked at the documentation from Dell.

Please refer to page 19 in system information manual below:

Your system has a hardware limitation for detecting SSD.

Here are the design limitations for SSD:
  • SATA: Up to 256 GB
  • PCIe/NVMe: Up to 512 GB
For normal Hard drive, the limitation is 2TB.

The motherboard is using the Intel HM175 chipset.   I've never seen a situation where the BIOS sees the 2.5" 960GB SATA SSD and Linux sees it but Windows does not.  This is a brand new laptop from Oct 2017.  I've used other Dell laptops from 2014 that supported my Crucial M500 2.5" 960GB SATA SSD.

When I put in a 240GB 2.5" SSD, the BIOS and Windows sees it.

On your compatibility website, for a Dell Inspiron 15 (7577), it shows that the Crucial MX500, MX300 and BX300 series SSDs that are 500GB+ are bigger is compatible with this laptop.  How did Crucial determine that these bigger SSDs are compatible with this laptop when the Dell manual specifically states that the 2.5" slot only supports up to 256GB SSD?

JEDEC Jedi

A lot of times companies like Dell will only qualify what they have actually tested & what they actually offer as a configuration option.   Rarely do they go back and test newer and larger items or update the original documents.   Sometimes you may see added support in a firmware update.

I thought of something else based on another post.  Is the partition type on the M500 the same as on the Windows 10 boot drive?  I wonder if they need to be the same type of MBR or GPT.     

Kilobyte Kid

So myself and other users have been posting in the Dell community forums about the incompatibility of the Dell Inspiron 15 7577 with the Crucial M500 series of SSDs.  

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-7577-adding-2-5-quot-SSD/td-p/5975451/highlight/fal...

Other brands of 2.5" SSDs that are bigger than 256GB work fine with the laptop except the Crucial M500s.    Why would the M500s not work?  Is it a M500 firmware issue or a laptop BIOS issue?

JEDEC Jedi

Can you confirm your Windows boot drive partitoning matches the M500?  Are they both using GPT partitions or both using MBR partitions?

Are you able to connect the M500 using a USB to SATA Adapter or an external USB dock or enclosure?  Can Windows see the drive using USB?  If so using Disk Management try using the clean (or clear) option if available, otherwise delete all of the paritions on the M500.  Reinstall the M500 internally and see if Disk Management can see it properly now.

If the above does not work or you don't have a USB adapter, then the easiest thing to do is purchase a copy of Parted Magic and try to perform a Secure Erase on the M500.   Keep in mind there is no guarantee that Parted Magic will be able to Secure Erase the M500 while installed in this particular laptop.   The laptop needs to be put to sleep so there is a slight chance Parted Magic may not be able to wake up requiring a forced power off.   I've personally never used it.    The same thing can be accomplished using Linux and the command line, but it is a more complex and much more dangerous procedure if you don't first remove your Windows boot drive.   I can provide instructions if you request it.

Keep in mind deleting all partitions on the M500 is the simplest but least perfect option.  The next best but slightly more difficult & dangerous option is to zero out the beginning of the M500 so no traces of partitioning information remain.   The ultimate option is to perform a Secure Erase on the SSD which is like resetting a circuit breaker as it will cause all of the blocks to reset on the SSD.   

If none of these options work, then it would seem you are stuck until Microsoft or Dell releases a driver update to resolve this issue.  You and others have confirmed the M500 is seen by the Dell BIOS/UEFI and Linux has no trouble accessing the M500.   This clearly points to a driver problem with Windows which Microsoft or Dell would need to address.  It is unfortunate, but it does happen from time to time.   

If the above suggestions work or you finally achieve success another way, please update this thread so it may help others.