Crucial m4 SSD 040H/04MH firmware available now

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial m4 SSD 040H/04MH firmware available now

Historically, their SSD's have received firmware updates after the release of the drives replacement.  So there's no need to worry abotu the imminent M500 on that front.  If they have anything left to add to the m4 I'm sure they'll do so. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Anyone else have this problem?

I have 2 x M4s in Raid0 (off the mobos ICH10R controller). 

The Windows 8 firmware update program does not see either drive, the drive window list is blank (and stays blank after hitting refresh drives of course)

So, I created 2 kinds of bootable media, USB and CD Rom.

Both get to the load screen and display this error message:

photo DSC_0559.jpg

Any suggestions? I have, of course, set the BIOS so that drives are set as IDE (instead of RAID). Makes no difference, I still get the same error message as soon as I hit the "y" key to start to type "yes". Actually, ANY key input or mouse click generates the SAME error message above. Both with the CD rom and USB. And both with "default" and "alternate" boot mode. Any ideas??
Kilobyte Kid

Do you also have AHCI or Compatibility mode besides IDE and RAID ?

Try to connect only one drive at a time during firmware update. And go with the ISO CD-ROM.

Kilobyte Kid

I'm having big nightmares with the O4OH firmware.   I have 4 computers with crucial m4's.  The one that been working the BEST had OOOF firmware so I thought I'd go ahead and upgrade.  It's on a multiboot box BUT SSD being what is is, of course ALL my boot partitions use the SSD for pagefile, temp and other stuff.

After the upgrade that SSD is not even recognized after XP boots--and yes I'm using XP Pro as well as Ubuntu, 7, Debian and others but XP is still my workhorse. AT the beginning of bootup the M4 is seen--and it's still seen if I go into BIOS but as soon an any OS loads, it takes a header.

The problem I created for myself was attempting to run the windows app.  Naturally with a multi-boot system pretty well nothing is defaulted to C drive.  So that app failed and i thought I aborted it before it had done anyting but apparently it wrote a whole bunch of **bleep** in anticipation of it running one time and then returning my system to normal.   I successfully applied the firmware from a bootable CD but the damage had already been done.  NOne of my OS's boot properly, The OS that was on the SSD dirve **bleep**'sOD even in safe mode.  Now I'm attempting a sector-by-sector restore of the SSD drive HOPING that will ferret out whatever the issue is.  It appears to be related to the way the app that runs in windows tries to manage and MBR filesystem VS GPT.  I use Paragons GTP App to access 3+TB drives under XP.  

The event log's most revealing error message would seem to be "Port driver for disk 0 failed ATA IDENTIFY command"  and lots of them coming from Paragon's GTP  loader.   Too many BIG Baracudas to uninstall it.

From CD I upgraded my old Sony Viao and no problems--so it does seem to be just related to the firmware upgrade running in windows--and perhaps it just doesn't know how to deal with XP.

By no means am i convinced the only thing touched was the SSD drive.  I'm having all lkinds of problems on that box now---even booting from the original XP install disk isn't working nor is Winternals or Hirens or a Boot Floopy or Boot USB.   eventually I'll figure it out and solve the issue {word filter evasion}

Right at this point in time Crucial is NOT one of my favorite performance enhancers and usually it is.

Kilobyte Kid

OK, I aleady have an update.  Should probably have mentioned at the start that my ASUS MOBO doesn't have native SataIII--so I use a Marvel SLI card.   I decdied to roll back to F000.  Firmware has to be admined via a native Sata port.  Once I had the M4 ready to recieve it's roll-back, just for grins I decided to fire up the rig.  And EVERYTHING worked perfectly.  Indeed I booted from the OS on the SSD and my perception was it wasn't one iota slower on a native SataII than on the "supposedly 6Gps Marvel SIII card.

Several months ago I had taken the a crucial M4 on my MSI MOBO OFF the Asmeda SLI adapter. The OS was SLOOW to realize it needed to boot from an SLI device and once it started, unlike my ASUS which flies after an initial hesitation, the M4 on the MSI booted slow.  I coulldn't load all tmy startup apps at boot, but would have to hand install them AND with a USBIII SLI adapter also on that MSI, , I had to literally turn off 6TB of external USBIII's  or couldn't boot at all.  It was fast enough once it was up and running BUT

At this point I have to really question using those SLI SataIII adapters.  They come with a number of hastles,especially if you'e booting from them and even my benchmarks do NOT show a significant perforance gain over native SataII's

I'm still clinging to these dual-cores as I try to gather what I need to essembly an intel I7 which WILL have native SATAIII, HDMI, USB3 and lots more.  And I need an iPad to, if nothing else, control my Pansonic Plasma lol.   I'll probably be shoving these guys currently keeping me up nights out on the sidewalk here in NYC within a month or two.   I've got enough rigs in storage in he basement to know I don't need to "salvage" any more.  I've got some good Secondaries and other odds and ends but PROBABLY i'll leave the SLI adapters attached when I leave them out for heavy trash.

Kilobyte Kid

streetskater wrote: ...

Using XP (essentially an EOL product that was never designed for SSD-s) along with Marvell SATA 6Gbps (Marvell being the worst SATA 6Gbps controller onboard or off). No wonder you had lots of problems. Upgrade your OS and use Intel SATA 6Gbps controller (onboard preferred). Also forget about windows update utility. It never worked right and never will. ISO boot is the safest bet.

Kilobyte Kid

Well yeah, I'm not even going to bother with Ivy Bridge at this point.  Waiting for 1150 Haswell.   Your points are well taken but they do somewhat miss a critical issue if you write off the "upgrade" SSD can provide to legacy computers.  Just as folks are finding that the "relative" to Microsoft, LIGHT resource demands of 8 can breath life into laptops that XP wasn't running well--replacing the native HDD in even a older Laptop can do wonders---probably one of the best single upgrades. 

I certainly have no regrets about putting SSD's in all my compters.  The ASUS even with the Marvel has worked stellar up to this issue.  For the future I'm leaning more and more to a UNIX (actually prefer Debian to Ubuntu) derivative since I'm been using UNIX since 1979.  Windows---probably 7 64 bit will be my workhorse OS on the new rig.  I've been building INTEL/AMD desktops since about 82 but I'm starting to look seriously at Mac's as another future direction.   This next Intel build may be my LAST.

Bit Baby

iMac 27" 2011

Crucial M4 512GB 2.5" 040H firmware.

macOS 10.13.2.

downloaded and burned the ISO for 070H.
Booted on the burned disc

Same problem. Stuck on "Finding drives..."

Please just make a macOS updater pretty please.

Even tried installing Windows 7 on Bootcamp to use the Windows firmware updater but no dice. The windows updater restarts the computer and tries to run the updater in freedos mode. this time its even worse. I get some dos memory corrupt error and ended with "System Halted"

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

justsome1 wrote:

Please just make a macOS updater pretty please.

Even if they did - they wouldn't for the M4.  It's not even supported by the Windows app Storage Exectutive.

The one thing I would say is... do you need to go to this trouble?  There was only one issue resolved in 07 over the 04 you have so check it's something your having trouble with: http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Crucial-m4-SSD-firmware-07MH-for-mSATA-and-070H-for-2-5-qu...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?