M500 - MacBook Pro very slow

Kilobyte Kid

M500 - MacBook Pro very slow

Howdy, I'm hoping you can help

My Crucial M500 480GB SSD is now crazy slow.

I have -  Mid 2009, 15" MacBook Pro with Mavericks 10.9.4 and a M500 480GB SSD

I first installed the SSD about a month ago after I cloned the drive using the third party software - super duper.  The drive/computer seemed to be working fine.  In the last week or so my computer seemed to be running slower then I updated the OS to 10.9.4 and now I can't even move a folder on my desktop with out getting the spinning pizza wheel.

Since that then I have -

reinstalled the old HD and rebooted with the Recover 10.9 and through disk utility reformatted the SSD (mac journaled extended with GUID partion) and restored the SSD

The SSD then seemed to be working great outside of the laptop - I then installed the SSD inside the laptop and then crazy slow again.

I then reinstalled the old HD and rebooted on the Recover 10.9 and through disk utility reformatted the SSD then I installed a clean copy of OS 10.9.4 (after several attempts I was sucessful) - and then the same thing the SSD runs great outside the laptop and crazy slow when installed.

Also, it seems that the computer is running fine with the old HD is reinstalled.

Am I doing somethig wrong?  What else can I try?

Whatdaya think?   

6 Replies
Community Manager

Re: M500 - MacBook Pro very slow

Hello Mike63,

Thanks for your post.

The behavior you are describing is consistent with deleted cells not being cleaned from your drive. This can result in reduced performance or even complete lack of response from the SSD.

There is a feature built into our SSDs called Active Garbage Collection. Letting Active Garbage Collection run on the drive for an extended period will clean these cells and restore the SSD to a healthy state.

To do this on your Mac, you will need to let the SSD idle for an extended period, ideally overnight. You can press the Options key while powering on to enter the Startup Manager screen. Leaving the Mac on that screen provides the SSD with power but keeps it in an idle state so Garbage Collection can function. Following this process, your drives functionality and performance should be restored.

To prevent the SSD performance degrading again, you can make adjustments to your power settings:

- Go to System Preferences
- Go to Energy Saver
- Make sure  'Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible' is unchecked.

Please let us know if I can offer additional assistance or advice.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

in reply to Mike63

Hi - I am having the same problem ! & as a mac technician I have installed these m500 drives in my clients macs quite frequently so iy was very disconcerting to discover my write/read speeds down below 20Mb/s recently - the 05 firmware update improved things but only for a very short time & now the speeds are back down again..I will try the advice offered by the Crucial representative tonight ie leaving mac in startup disk screen ...& I've switched off the option to spin down hard drives...  I wonder if that alone will prevent this issue recurring...anyway I realise that ssd's are new tech & I'm learning from experience, but this particular phenomenon is pretty serious & I wonder if there are other options to avoid it eg is there any point in activating TRIM on these drives or are the built-in garbage collection/maintenance routines efficient enough to keep the drive working within its specified parameters...? & or ls is there a more recent design of ssd by crucial which is more reliable ? is this issue with the m500s because they are older tech & being marketed as a value drive? I chose to use crucial because I've always found their quality standards for ram at the top,but I'm not so confident right now about the ssd's. I hope that the issue clears up from switching off hsd spin down but I think that there should be clear instructions provided with the drives when they are supplied. & I will have to contact all the people for whom  I've installed these drives!

;-)

ps it would be very useful to know a lot more about the requirements for built in maintenance to work correctly, as , for example my macbook pro isset to hibernate on sleep so it spends quite a lot of time powered off to save battery & so the conditions are different from desktops ...but it is normal for macs to sleep when not in use so if the ssd needs to be powered on but not active this is a situation which cannot work under normal usage circumstances...

Bit Baby

I have the M500 1TB SSD drive in my MPB and I have to say that I REGRET buying this drive 3 years ($491) ago, instead of a factory model from Apple. I selected SSD to boost IO performance. Well, it boots fast and works fine for a day or two and then I am starting to deal with the spinning "wait" wheel. The fact that I have to reboot after a couple of days , press option key and let the drive do garbage collection. This is something that end-user should not be troubled with.  Yes my computer slows down after a couple of days and performance degrades to a point where I can't stream a video. MY ADVISE- DON'T BUY THIS. Unless the drive works effortless, does its housekeeping automatically, don't buy this. Also Crucial should have written a bulletin and send it proactively to folks who purchased their drives because of these issues. I'll never buy again from Crucial.  wasted.

Bit Baby

I have the M500 960GB SSD drive in my MPB and I have to say that I REGRET buying this drive 3 years ($491) ago, instead of a factory model from Apple. I selected SSD to boost IO performance. Well, it boots fast and works fine for a day or two and then I am starting to deal with the spinning "wait" wheel. The fact that I have to reboot after a couple of days , press option key and let the drive do garbage collection. This is something that end-user should not be troubled with.  Yes my computer slows down after a couple of days and performance degrades to a point where I can't stream a video. MY ADVISE- DON'T BUY THIS. Unless the drive works effortless, does its housekeeping automatically, don't buy this. Also Crucial should have written a bulletin and send it proactively to folks who purchased their drives because of these issues. I'll never buy again from Crucial. .

Bit Baby

I have the M500 1TB SSD drive in my MPB and I have to say that I REGRET buying this drive 3 years ($491) ago, instead of a factory model from Apple. I selected SSD to boost IO performance. Well, it boots fast and works fine for a day or two and then I am starting to deal with the spinning "wait" wheel. The fact that I have to reboot after a couple of days , press option key and let the drive do garbage collection. This is something that end-user should not be troubled with.  Yes my computer slows down after a couple of days and performance degrades to a point where I can't stream a video. MY ADVISE- DON'T BUY THIS. Unless the drive works effortless, does its housekeeping automatically, don't buy this. Also Crucial should have written a bulletin and send it proactively to folks who purchased their drives because of these issues. I'll never buy again from Crucial. .

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Make sure you force trim on.  It's less a Crucial issue and more using anyone not Apple in an Apple.  Apple don't like you giving your money to anyone that's not them. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?