Re: PSID Revert tool alpha release

Thank You r0m30, you saved my day!

Bit Baby

Not quite getting this to work.  

PSID Revert on M500 900GB running MU5.  Windows 7 Pro 

Revert.txt

- 12:00:28.000 DBG : Log level set to DBG4

- 12:00:28.000 DBG : Performing a PSID Revert on \\.\PhysicalDrive1 with password 5DF72245FB3B48BEB9C389XXXXXX

- 12:00:28.000 DBG4: Entering revertTPer(char * devref, char * password)

- 12:00:28.000 DBG4: Creating MsedDev::Mseddev() \\.\PhysicalDrive1

- 12:01:21.464 DBG4: Entering MsedDev::identify()

- 12:01:21.464 DBG4: Entering MsedDev::sendCmd

- 12:06:21.953 DBG4: Entering MsedBaseDev::isOpal2()

- 12:06:21.953 DBG4: Entering MsedBaseDev::isOpal1()

- 12:06:21.953 DBG4: Entering MsedBaseDev::isOpal1()

- 12:06:21.953 ERR : Device not supported for PSID Revert \\.\PhysicalDrive1

- 12:06:21.953 DBG4: Destroying TCGdev

Thanks,  

We would really like to get this to work.  6 of these drives all locked.   

Kilobyte Kid

Is this drive attached via a USB enclosure?  The program only supports ATA attached drives.

The drive is not identifying itself as an ata device, after Entering MsedDev::identify() there should be a Entering MsedBaseDev::discovery0() which is where it will get  the OPAL configuration data required to perform the PSID revert.

Kilobyte Kid

I was able to use the revert utility to fix my M500 240GB drive. Thank you very much for providing what Crucial won't.

It was a major headache though. It wouldn't work with my AMD/Windows based HP laptop. Only when moving it to an Intel/Windows platform did it work. (Tried it on 2 different Intel machines.). My PC's are pretty well set in desk enclosures so plugging and unplugging cables was a pain.

This is the only SSD of about 20 that I've ever seen this problem.

Once reverted, Parted Magic was able to recognize the drive for Secure Erase.

Thanks for a really slick fix OP!

I am done with Crucial drives for the foreseeable future because of this debacle. Privacy "for the win!"

JEDEC Jedi

cousinit wrote:

I am done with Crucial drives for the foreseeable future because of this debacle. Privacy "for the win!"

Strictly speaking it's Microsofts fault if anyones. Smiley Wink   They don't want you using ATA security on an eDrive.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

That may be true, but instead of finger pointing, Crucial should simply give users an option to securely erase the SSD without having to take a hammer to it or relying on a 3rd party programmer.

I don't need to know the nuts and bolts of eDrive, encryption, etc., etc..

All I want is an easy way to end up with a securely erased drive whenever I want it.

Kilobyte Kid

Solution in this thread worked for me!

Bit Baby

Awesome tool, r0m30!!  THANKS, MAN!

Worked perfectly on a CT120M500 that had been locked by WinMagic.

The drive had been in a test box, and no one told me it was locked until I went to re-image it and it failed.  By then, the OS wasn't bootable, and there was no hope of removing the WinMagic.  It was basically a brick of a drive.  I hooked that drive to an MSATA port on a healthy Win 7 Pro x64 box, and ran your tool.  Presto, drive unlocked and ready to be partitioned and formatted. 

Thanks a million!

Kilobyte Kid

Just received an email from someone who was told by Crucial Support that this tool was their "best and only option other than an RMA" to recover a drive that had been fubared by a third party product. Smiley Happy

Maybe the next release should be a beta Smiley LOL

Kilobyte Kid

Hey thanks for your tool!

I'm exactly in this situation but a bit afraid to use this unofficial tool. After installing w8.1 I can't secure erase my drive, I guess that means I'm trapped in this opal mode. There is so few information on that topic and I'm not sure to fully understand the problem yet...

I'm really really disappointed by MS and crucial not give tools to solve this problem, which is clearly their fault (no info, no warning, no tools).

How save is it to do a psid reset with the tool, or is there a chance not be able to update the firmware in the future or get data corruption in later usage or something?

best regards