PSID Revert tool alpha release

JEDEC Jedi

Re: PSID Revert tool alpha release

User00 wrote:
i hated windows 8.

Install this: http://www.classicshell.net/ (or a similar product) and Windows 8 turns back into 7 with a better task manager, faster boot time and a prettier file copy dialog. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I'm constantly receiving the following error each time Windows boots:

A TCG Command has returned an error.
Desc: AuthenticateSession
Param1: 0x1
Param2: 0x60000001C
Param3: 0x900000006
Param4: 0x0

I have 2 MX100 512GB drives.  I'm hoping this will be possible.  I'd like to disable the automatic encryption using the appropriate registry entry in Windows.  I'd like to use this tool to PSID revert the drive that does not currently hold my Windows installation.  I would then like to migrate the Windows installation to the freshly reverted drive.  Boot from that drive and then PSID revert the original OS drive.  Does this seem feasible?  I'm desperate to elimante this issue.  My machine is locking up seemingly randomly and this is the only issue I can see to track it back to.  I'm seeing several reports of others having the same issue and no good solution.

Ultimately, if this isn't possible, I'll need to go through the process of reinstalling Windows and disabling the automatic encryption at that point, I imagine.

Kilobyte Kid

I haven't found a solution to this type of problem anywhere that works.  I can't say if your solution will work or not.

This was discussed before in this thread. 

Sorry but that about all the help I have.  If you find a reliable way to get around this issue please post it so others can use it.

Bit Baby

Big thanks for PSID Revert tool - it works on Samsung 850 PRO under Win7 Pro SP1 Ent x64 ;-)

Bit Baby

Unfortunately Crucial's latest SSD, the MX100, is not compatible with this fine tool. Errors abound that the MX100 is not an Opal2 drive.

I have a new MX100 that lost its brain as far as hardware encryption goes. Everything worked perfectly from install several weeks ago to this morning. Now, after a reboot, the drive refuses to unlock either directly through bios or using hdparm. Crucial's tech support recommended msed as a last resort, but no success.

Just a head's up to other Crucial customers with the MX100 - be wary of hardware encryption turning your drive into a paperweight.

Kilobyte Kid

What is the output from these commands?

msed -vvvvv --scan

and

msed -vvvvv --query \\.\PhysicalDrive?   <== replace ? with proper number for drive.

What OS are you running?  How is the drive attached to the system? AMD or Intel CPU?

Bit Baby

Huge thanks to r0m30 for this tool. It worked flawlessly!

Just unlocked an M500 that was botched by Wave Cloud 2014. Much easier than dealing with Wave tech support (if they could even help). And much better than RMA'ing a brand new drive to get a refurbished one.

Kilobyte Kid

I’ve been looking at your MSED project as a way to revert SED drives before sending them back to our reapplication group. Unfortunately all of our support utilities run from a USB bootable WinPE 64 bit environment…in other words, your msed.exe application will not run unless it can be compiled as a native 64 bit application.

I was just wondering if you had considered a 64 bit version as part of your future TODO list?

Thanks for your time, and the nice work on msed.

-Mike

Kilobyte Kid

The free version of VS only suppoets 32bit execs, so no.  If you have a development group prehaps they have the full version of VS and could download the source from github.  I don't think there should be any issues although it is possible that there are.

The Linux version can be easily integrated into many of the small linux distros to create a bootable USB.  I have done it with the TinyCore distro for example.

There is now a 64bit version included in the windows download (msed64.exe) that can be run on WINPE 64bit.

JEDEC Jedi

r0m30 wrote:

The free version of VS only suppoets 32bit execs, so no.

In a well-timed move, the full VS2013 just became free for non-enterprise use! Smiley Very Happy

http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?