Kilobyte Kid
pistolphat
Accepted Solution

ASUS UX32VD & 256GB SSD - Problem Cloning HDD to SSD via CD software

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

I am here to ask for assistance since I was not able to find my answers among the different topics and searches.

I've just recently purchased the ASUS UX32VD and Crucial 256GB SSD (2.5", 7MM). I was looking to replaced the mechanical drive inside the laptop to SSD.

I've tried using the cable and software (bootable cloning CD) to transfer the the data over but everytime, I've encountered this specific message "Source drive is larger than Source destination". As a result, I cannot move pass the cloning stage.

The UX32VD comes with a 500GB and 25 Hybrid SSD. The main HDD has only 40-50GB of actual files/data. The rest is still unused because I've just recently bought and held off installing any programs. Currently, this is how the HDD is partitioned:

OS (C: ) Total 160GB, 120GB Free ~ 40GB USED

Data (D: ) Total 280GB, 280GB Free.

Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit.

Thanks in advance.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: ASUS UX32VD & 256GB SSD - Problem Cloning HDD to SSD via CD software

in reply to pistolphat

Hi pistolphat,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues cloning your current hard drive.  You may have to manually set the partition sizes in EZ Gig.

By default, when cloning your hard drive, EZ Gig will automatically re-size your partitions according to the new SSD space.

However if you select the Advanced Options, you can also choose to Manually adjust them if you prefer:

1. In the Advanced Options screen, select the "Manually" radio button and click "Apply Changes". This opens the "Adjust Partitions" window.

(Positions and sizes of the partitions to be copied to the Destination drive (SSD) are displayed graphically in a bar. The original size of the partition is displayed in dark green, while the additionally assigned space is displayed in light green. The size of partitions displayed in black cannot be altered. Free space not yet assigned to any partition is displayed in white.)

2. To re-size, click the desired partition’s extended space (light green portion) and drag with your mouse. You can also use the [+] and [-] cursor keys to the same effect.

3. Once you have re-sized the partitions to the desired size, choose “Apply Adjustment” which will then close the window.

4. Once the “Adjust Partition” window is closed, close the “Advanced Options” window by clicking the “Close Window” button

You can now proceed with cloning your drive.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
pistolphat

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Thank you for the reply.

I decided to go with a clean OS install instead. I will keep this handy for next time.

Bit Baby
lpphoto

in reply to Crucial_Junket

I have EZ Gig IV software and have the same problem.  The suggested solution does not work  I can access the Advanced Options, click on Manual partition, then apply changes, but no partitioning option or graphic that you describe comes up.  Please advise on how to resolve this.  

Kilobyte Kid
RobbMann

in reply to pistolphat

Hello,

I'm having a different problem with my 512gb M4 upgrade on the UX32VD.

i copied my drive using the encluded EZ GIG software, with all the default settings. The drive copied fine, but when I installed it into my computer it is not recognized as a bootable device. I really do not want to have to reswap the drive again, and dread the thought of doing a clean install. Any hope of salvaging my upgrade?

I bought the full upgrade kit with cable. I have done this type of upgrade before without a hitch. Any idea what went wrong this time?

Thanks. Robb.

Kilobyte Kid
RobbMann

in reply to RobbMann

So, the actual problem code that pops up is 0xc0000225 -INFO: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. I'm guessing a simple bios change might fix this, but I have no clue what it might be. I do not want to do a fresh install due to a huge number of registered programs - major **bleep**. ANy idea how to make a clone work?

Dual Channel Surfer
alex486

in reply to RobbMann

The ASUS UX32VD is using UEFI and GPT right?

Did the EFI System partition get correctly cloned and made bootable?

I'm not really a windows persion, but if it were me I'd probably use something like gparted live to check.

Can you interupt the boot process (pressing DEL key at boot time?) and choose a device to boot?

Kilobyte Kid
mikenzinbfe

in reply to pistolphat

i have cloned several windows machines over to ssd drives without a glitch until recently. i tried both a crucial drive and another manufacturer both 500gb and 512gb, both larger than the original sata drive to be cloned. i could not clone and i used both crucial software as well as another. after dealing with asus i finally found out why all the cloning problems, headaches. they use a special encryption on some of their newer devices for the data backup partition. that encryption stops the cloning process dead in its tracks. they refused to give me the key to get around their encryption so that was the end of that. in addition when speaking with a business associate i found that they too have come across a couple of other pc makers that do essentially the same thing. they have had a pc business here where i live for thirty years and are highly regarded and if they are unable to clone it is a fight imho not worth fighting. i wish there was a good comprehensive list of makers like asus who do this, with the specific devices so that when we purchase especially when we plan to upgrade we know in advance what we can and cannot do. don't get me wrong i like asus products but doing this blocking end users from upgrading anything but ram really stinks, nice way to put it. if anyone knows a way to get around the darned encryption please put up the info. at least my alienware/dell laptop cloned easily and quickly with the crucial software and ssd drive.