Kilobyte Kid
mich125

Another Crucial M4 Slowdown

[ Edited ]

I bought my first Crucial M4 128gb ssd drive on 03/11/2011

Here is a test just after I bought it:

And here is a test from 13/09/2012

This above ssd was warranty exchanged for a new one.

This is a screenshot from 08/12/2012, after I received new ssd from warranty exchange:

And here is a screenshot from today 09/05/2013:

As you can see in both cases 4k-64thrd is cut in half after a few months time.

It's not like I do something extreme with this drives, I always have updated drivers/firmware, have trim on, never have any viruses etc, my ssd have like 32gb free disk space now.

My most important pc parts are:

i7-3770k@4.6ghz

16gb ram 1600

Asrock Z77 Extreme6

Asus GTX 670 DIRECT CU II TOP 2GB

CRUCIAL M4 SSD 128GB

2x SAMSUNG 1TB HD103SJ RAID0

SEASONIC X-760W

And yes ssd feels slower then I remember, windows loads slower. Do I really have to keep sending ssd for warranty exchange every few months now? Not only I lose my main drive for 2 weeks, but I have to rebuild my whole windows installation because of that, I use my pc a lot, and can't afford that to happen. I originally paid like 150 pounds for this drive, and didn't expect this kind of unreliability.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Another Crucial M4 Slowdown

in reply to mich125

It seems to be normal behaviour I'm afraid after the drive has seen some use: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/low-4K-64Thrd-with-AS-SSD/td-p/84448

It won't affect real world performance as you won't see queue depths anywhere close to 64. You'll rarely see them much above 1.  Anvils benchmark at a queue depth of 4 is more realistic: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/anvils_storage_utilities_download.html

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
mich125

in reply to targetbsp

How is losing so much performance over few months of usage a normal behavior?? Other producers ssd's dont experience this isue.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to mich125

Sorry, I'm using normal to mean common rather than expected.

I'm guessing you're a gamer from your system specs?  There's a pretty good article on it here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-gaming-performance,2991.html  The vast majority of work occurs with a queue depth of 1.

By all means if you're not happy with the drive then please do contact Crucial support.  There just isn't a solution I know of that we can provide you with on here I'm sorry to say.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!