Memory Leak Geek
Ogroc

BSOD and Freeze on Laptop

Looks to be the same as posted here and here, my old laptop that I put a 256GB M4 in back at Christmas was giving BSODs and freezing up a few minutes after being started up.  PC booted to desktop, and HDD light was solid, not ever flashing.

I have updated firmware to 07MH which didn't help.  Still was getting the freeze and BSOD.  I switched to using the Windows SATA drivers instead of Intel and now when I boot, the desktop loads, but the system is completely frozen.  Mouse pointer shows the circle like it trying to load, but I am unable to move it, click anything, or have anything come up when using the keyboard.  HDD light is not even lighting up now.  Currently been this way for 20+ minutes

Memory Leak Geek
Ogroc

Re: BSOD and Freeze on Laptop

in reply to Ogroc

FYI. the laptop is a Dell Studio XPS 1647.  Things seem to work fine with the mechanical drive that came with the system so not sure if there's a software, firmware, or hardware issue with the M4.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Ogroc

Can you post up a screenshot from crystaldiskinfo so we can look at the drives diagnostic SMART data?

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html (careful to deny permission to install the ads during setup)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Memory Leak Geek
Ogroc

in reply to targetbsp

Here's what came up from the scan I just ran.

SSD SMART Info Screenshot.JPG

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Ogroc

There are SMARt errors showing so it could be a drive fault.  They are at a fairly lwo level though.  You you resize the windows before taking the screenshot so we can see the top of the SMART data please?  Or at least big enough to see attribute ID BC and above in the second screenshot. Thanks!

Memory Leak Geek
Ogroc

in reply to targetbsp

Here's a new shot.  Also an update.  After switching to the Windows built in SATA drivers in safe mode and a couple reboots, the system is up and running, but there is still something wrong.  When it boots to Windows, cmd.exe and the ATI Catalyst software crashes and Windows explorer reboots itself.

Hard Drive SMART Test.JPG

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]
in reply to Ogroc

That is weird, I can't see these screenshots.

Ogroc, what is your Windows version? Which version of Intel AHCI driver were you trying to use?

Memory Leak Geek
Ogroc

in reply to bogdan

Sorry about that.  Had to pull the pic.  Here it is again.

Windows is Windows 7.  Not sure on the version of Intel AHCI, but its using the standard Windows ones now.

Hard Drive SMART Test.JPG

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to Ogroc

You could play a little bit with various version of AHCI drivers as described in this post (and additional links mentioned there) but in case you would not achieve success it is possible it would be due to the drive that is showing some errors I guess.

Memory Leak Geek
Ogroc

in reply to Ogroc
I am beginning to believe it is the drive itself. I just checked it when I got home and when I started the system it gave the Windows did not shut down properly message. Yet another BSOD and this was after a fresh Windows load

Also when I ran the Windows Experience thing crom control panel, the drive was the slowest item at 5.9 rating