Kilobyte Kid
MrDelD
Accepted Solution

Boot manager missing

Hello,

I am having random issues with my system, which I believe is the SSD failing. I built this system myself back in 2009 and added the SSD in 2011, the build info is below.

Issue 1 – Boot manager missing: This happens when the system is idle for a few minutes (i.e. only while I was AFK). So I do not know if the system tries to reboot or just instantly goes to the message. This has happen twice today (probably 6 – 8 times in the last 3 days) and I was AFK every time.

This message is a black screen with “BOOT MANAGER MISSING; Press Ctrl, Alt, Delete to reboot” If you press Ctrl, Alt, Del the system will reboot BUT at post it will hang when searching for the SSD. If you power down the system completely, it will reboot fine and run without issue (more or less, see issue 2).

Issue 2 – Can’t find programs, extremely long load times, other **bleep**. All of this happen randomly, but typically does not happen unless the system has been on for an hour or so.

Here are a couple examples: Cannot load any programs, mouse moves but when you select a program nothing will happen or you will get a message that the program no longer exists. The program may start to load and then hang to the point that I have to reboot. Can't click anything on the desktop, mouse moves but you can’t click any icons (this might be part of the long load time issue, since when it happen I generally just reboot.)

I have not gotten any BSD messages.

I have run ChkDsk –there are 0 bad file records processed and 0 KB in bad sectors. (Other than chkdsk I have not run any diagnostic software.) (Did the same for all drives, none have bad sectors.)

Build info

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC

Western Digital 1T drive

Western Digital 500Gig drive

Questions:

The obvious one - Does this appear to be the SSD failing?

Does Crucial or anyone else have diagnostic software to determine the health of the SSD?

Thank you for your time.

Del D

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Boot manager missing

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html will read the diagnostic info from the drive.  During install make sure to refuse any offered adware.

Post up a screenshot form it if you're not sure what you're looking at (obscure your drives serial number though)

You may find this procedure helpful: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/My-SSD-used-to-be-so-much-faster-What-h...  Will give the drives firmware some time to sort itself out.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
MrDelD

Thank you for your quick replay. Below is the image form Crystalmark, I am going to says its not the SSD since everything looks good? Guess I am back to square one....

Capture.PNG

Thanks again

Del D

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

As you suspect the drive itself itself is indeed healthy  so you've nothing to worry about there.  Nonetheless - it is infact also to blame so we at least have the culprit for your issues!

The problem is a bug in the firmware versions 0009 and older that kicks in once you reach 5000 and something hours.  Just update the firmware and you will be fine.  There have been several versions since the one you have and this is the latest: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-m4-SSD-firmware-07MH-for-mSATA-and-070H-f...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
MrDelD

Mark,

Thank you very much for your help, I installed the update this morning and hopefully that solves the problem. I must say that was the one of the easiest firmware update programs I have seen. I don’t think it took more than 5 minutes from start to finish.

Thanks again for your help.

Del D