Kilobyte Kid
geoffschultz

CT256V4SSD2 - Low throughput & large queue lengths

[ Edited ]

A few years ago I equipped 2 laptops and a desktop with CT256V4SSD2 drives.  This was just as the M4 drives were coming out and I couldn't justify the price increase, especially since the systems only have SATA 2 interfaces.  The performance has been quite acceptible, but over the past few months it's been going down hill.  They boot very fast into Windows 8, but at various times while running applications, I get "Not Responding" notifications which can last for long periods of time (20-30 seconds is common). 

I've gone to running the task manager and resource monitor as standard operating procedures so that I can alt-tab to them and see what's going on.  What I typically see is that the C drive, which is the CT256V4 drive, is at 100% active with a queue length typically in the 10-20 range and not much data being transferred.  If you look at the average response time on the Task Manager, you'll often see times in the 5-15 second range.  Typically what seems to bring this on is some process (quite often PID 4 (system)) writing data to C:.

I see this on all 3 systems, including the system with a replacement drive running firmware version 25. 

Here's a screen capture of the AS SSD performance followed by the task/performance screen shot.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-- Geoff

P.S.  Please note that the reason that the CPU is at 100% is due to BOINC/Seti-at-home running at low priority in the background.  Stopping these tasks does not effect this issue.

AS_SSD_FX6800_C_20130928.jpgTask_mgr.jpg

SODIMM Sherpa
Holt

Re: CT256V4SSD2 - Low throughput & large queue lengths

Getting a value-SSD was not the best idea, even if the systems only have SATA 2 interfaces. Did you look out for a review before? Anandtech has one of the v4 and at that site you should look out about performance consistency, that ist really an issue for older ssd controllers.

Kilobyte Kid
geoffschultz

Holt, thank you very much for your helpful answer.  Did you actually read my post as to when I bought these?

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Hi geoffschultz,

I am sorry you have been having issues with your V4 SSDs. I would recommend contacting us directly by using the link in my signature. There may be a different solution we could provide you. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this may cause.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby
GlynP

Hi,

Did you manage to resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem with a new v4 64MB drive.

I raised a ticket with Crucial, but just got a generic try-the-obvious email; all of which I had tried before raising the ticket! :-)

I'm about to go through the realign partion and then update firmware hoops. Just in case I still have the problem afterwards I was wondering if you'd managed to find a fix?

Thanks,

Glyn.

Kilobyte Kid
geoffschultz

I tried everything that they suggested and nothing helped.  I was running the latest firmware on the drive on my desktop, so I don't think that updating will resolve your issue. My final solution was to replace it with a drive from another vendor (which is working great) and RMAing the drive to Crucial. 

I then took the replacement drive and put it on another laptop, which now runs fine.  If/when it starts having problems, I will replace its drive with a new drive from another vendor.  I simply don't have time to troubleshoot what I suspect is Crucial's issue.

Best of luck!

-- Geoff

Bit Baby
GlynP

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply. It's not what I wanted to hear, but it has saved me wasting any more time on the issue thinking it was something I had or hadn't done during the installation.

One RMA underway...

Which vendor did you opt for in the end?

Cheers,

Glyn.
Kilobyte Kid
geoffschultz

I'm not sure what the rules of this forum are regarding discussing other vendors, so I sent you a PM.