Kilobyte Kid
LesIsmore
Accepted Solution

Cannot complete install of Windows 7 on M500 240GB

I have been unable to install Windows 7 on a new M500 240GB SSD in an Acer Aspire M5800.  I have initialized and formatted the drive and I'm able to get most of the way through the install, but just before completing, I get a message that Windows cannot be configured to install on this hardware.  

I have tried to migrate my existing Win 8 installation to the disk using Acronis True Image, but it will not let me select the drive as the destination.  I'm not sure if this is because of the size difference.  The old HDD is a Seagate 700GB with over 500GB used, but I wanted to exclude all media and document files to get it to fit.  I thought True Image allowed that, but I can't get past the screen to select the destination.

I also installed the M500 into a Asus netbook and used the same flash drive to install Windows 7 and it worked just fine.  I was hoping that I might be able to then just move the drive with Windows already installed over to the desktop, but when I tried this Windows would not load.

Not sure what to try next.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Cannot complete install of Windows 7 on M500 240GB

There are programs that can exclude the data, including one that was supplied with specific versions of the M4.  I'm not sure all programs can do that though.

For cloning your old install, I would split your existing drive into 2 partitions, move the unwanted data across to the second to free up space on the first partition.  Shrink the first by the freed up space, increase the second for more room.  Move more data across and repeat until your system drive is small enough to fit inside 223GB (the usable space on 240)

Then try cloning it across.

I use this for partitioning: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

This for cloning: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

When you are trying to clean install, are you using the disc supplied with the PC?  It may contain drivers you need that a generic one does not.

Is Windows 7 just a stepping stone for Windows 8?  ie is your Windows 8 an upgrade disc you were going to put on straight away anyway?  If so, just install Windows 8 and do this: http://www.techbeast.net/2012/10/26/windows-8-clean-installation-with-an-upgrade-license/

Don't bother with 7.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

We may be getting somewhere in this thread as to why you cannot install Windows 7: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Cannot-complete-install-of-Windows-7-on-M500-240G...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
LesIsmore

I tried your solution (with a twist) and it ended in disaster.  Using Acronis Disk Director to shuffle data and resize partitions failed and somehow ended with deleting all data on C.  I then installed Win 7 on what had been a Linux Partition and then used Macrium to clone windows to the M500.  It still would not boot, so I used the Macrium boot repair and WAIK to fix the boot loader.  It now boots and all is good.

Thanks

Bit Baby
ArchaicWarrior

I'm having a similar problem with a Crucial M500 960G SSD Drive I bought to replace a Corsair 240G that crashed. It was my C: boot drive. Very similar story to above person, W7 pro 64 install almost gets to the end but that error message keeps apprearing. Sounds like a driver issue ?????

BIOS sees the Crucial 960 as Device_0, say 894G available, I assume rest is used by drive

Any help appreciated.