Bit Baby
mhfzkr

Computer Freeze When Transferring Large Data

I have a problem regarding the freezing of the Win7 when I transfer a large data (~10 GB) from my crucial M4 SSD to any other drive. I searched through many questions regarding similar issues but couldn't find a solution that works for me.

Here is my situation. I have 3 drivers installed in my computer and also have an external drive:

Drive 1 - Main drive with OS installed on it, 128 GB crucial SSD,

Drive 2 - 2 TB , 7200 rpm SATA drive

Drive 3 - 512 GB Crucial m4 512GB SSD

Drive 4 (External drive) - 480 GB u32 usb3 portable SSD

When I transfer the data from Drive 1,2 or 4 to any of the other drivers then everything works fine. However, when I transfer the data from Drive 3 to any other drivers then about 70% of time the computer just freezes and I need to restart it.

I tried two solutions:

1- From this location I made the value of the LargeSystemCache as 1: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management. But this changed nothing.

2- I used TeraCopy program to copy the file. This solution actually WORKS. However, the only drawback is it transfers the data with a more less constant speed of 100 MB/sec when I am doing the transfer from Drive 3 to Drive 4.

However, supposedly Drive 4 should go upto 400 MB/sec.

So, is there a way to make the transfer from Drive 3 to Drive 4, without causing the computer freeze and at a speed > 200 MB/sec? Thanks in advance for answers.

Bit Baby
zeroibis

Re: Computer Freeze When Transferring Large Data

in reply to mhfzkr

Not sure if you fixed this yet but I had the same issue for a long time and it turned out to be my PSU. Swap that out and see if your problem goes away.

Bit Baby
mhfzkr

in reply to zeroibis

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't solved this issue unfortunately. Can there be any other solutions, I want to change the PSU as a last resort? Can it be just a defective SSD , do you think it makes sense to sent it back?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to mhfzkr

If you post up the SMART info from CrystalDiskInfo we can see if the drive has logged any faults.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!