Kilobyte Kid
Fireline

Crucial M4 256 MB unexpected shutdowns

Hello there,

I've bought my SSD by the end of last year, I was at the time using it on a laptop and since it always had overheating issues I assumed the problem was the said laptop and not the SSD, now I'm not so sure.

First it would shutdown and not recognize my SSD on BIOS or Booting my OS, but only after unexpected shutdowns, which I thought cause by overheating.

Recently (this Wednesday) I bought a new desktop PC, everything is brand new except for my M4, the only difference on how they are connected are the new Sata 6GB cables.

I had a few unexpected shutdowns just like my old PC and figured it could only be my SSD since its the only piece from the laptop since the M4 wouldn't be recognized after a shutdown either. I read on this forums that it was some problem with power cycles, so I updated to the last firmware available yesterday.

The only difference in behavior is that now my SSD is always found after an unexpected shutdown, the shutdowns still occur at irregular intervals but from anything to 6-7 a day.

I need help indentifying the problem with my SSD and need to know if I have to have it sent back for warranty or is something that I can solve.

Thank You

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Crucial M4 256 MB unexpected shutdowns

[ Edited ]

Is the drives firmware up to date?  It needs to be 0309 or newer or a known issue in older versions may cause you problems.

Here's how to check your firmware version: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/READ-ME-FIRST-SSD-Guides-and-FAQs-updated-April-2...

Here's where to get the update: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-m4-SSD-firmware-07MH-for-mSATA-and-070H-f...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
Fireline

Yes, it is that version, as I said on my post I updated the firmware yesterday, and that is the version

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Try anotehr sata power lead from your PSU.  A couple of people have noted lately that an imperfect power supply can cause issue.  if that doesn't help if you post up a screenshot from CrystalDiskInfo we can see from the SMART data if the drive has any issue.

Kilobyte Kid
Fireline

Can only test the PSU theory tomorrow, meanwhile here is my the ss

http://i.imgur.com/xKyTX3w.jpg

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

The drive itself looks fine but does show a lot of power loses so hopefully it's that?  But I guess as its been in a laptop those power losses were possible.

Kilobyte Kid
Fireline

[ Edited ]

the laptop was going down just the same way as the PC is going down now.

Laptop was always connected to electricity, acting as a tower for a 9 months or so

My power supply is not very good, but it was always meant as temporary, do you reckon getting a new one will solve this?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

I honestly don't know. Intolerance of imperfect power sources is a fairly new discovery for me!  I only have two recent exmaples to draw from.  Here's a more detaield thread on the subject from someone clearly far more knowledgable about electronics than me: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Very-weird-behavior-of-M4-512GB-drive/td-p/130908

Kilobyte Kid
Fireline

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to update that I found out that the problem is not my SSD after all, not since the firmware update.

Installed my OS on my HDD and let it run for a while to check if I would have unexpected shutdowns and I still do, which pretty much confirms its a problem on my PSU.

Btw. read that other post and I have no problems with hot plug and play with either one of my drives.