Crucial_Katana

Crucial Wiper tool now available in the forum

The Crucial Wiper tool for user-initiated Garbage Collection is now available. It is for Windows XP and Vista only, and has been verified to work on firmware version 1571 and 1819. We are working on a solution for the Mac OS and will post it when available.

The Crucial Wiper tool will also be made available on the firmware download page, but we are posting it here in the forum first.

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Binary Boss
djinnuk

Re: Crucial Wiper tool now available in the forum

Thats great thanks, now can we get a comment/solution on the write performance issue of the new 1819 firmware thread pls.

SODIMM Sherpa
Tekno

[ Edited ]

This is great. Much appreciated.

If we have Windows 7 with TRIM support enabled, will this tool cause synchronization issues between Windows 7 and the SSD if we use wiper?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]

Thanks Crucial. It seems to be the same 25/05 version as the other Indilinx Wipers doing the rounds in case anyone is wondering. :smileyhappy: So I assume it doesn't help raid users.

It won't cause a problem with trim. In fact I would think you would need to run it now you have Trim so trim has a clean slate to work with so to speak.  Trim only sorts out files as you delete them so anything you deleted before the firmware will benefit from being wiper'd.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Crucial_Katana

Tekno,

We do not expect the Wiper tool to cause synchronization errors in Windows 7.

djinnuk, and everyone else,

With regards to the reports of reduced performance following the firmware upgrade: We are in the process of collecting data on the issue and we greatly appreciate the detailed reports posted here by all of you. We are investigating the matter and hope to have a resolution available shortly.

Katana,
US Moderator
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
SODIMM Sherpa
Tekno

Awesome. Thank you for the input. I am happy to hear Crucial is investigating if there is a potential issue.

If you need more help or detail from me let me know. I can run more tests or give you more specific detail on what I am seeing to allow you all to try and duplicate the issue. I know in engineering you must have reproducibility to help diagnose a problem or even consider it a real problem.

DIMMented
rpsgc

Thanks for the reply Katana. We were getting a bit worried :smileyhappy:

Binary Boss
r3loaded

This wiper tools seems to have fixed my slow(er) write speeds on 1819 - thanks! :smileyhappy:

Binary Boss
Brian

Hi, rather dissapointing as the tool appears to be the same as the one which has been in circulation for a few months now. As a raid user I was hoping for a GB/Trim tool that worked with raid. I have a hybrid raid setup, a Vertex and a Crucial drive, (working well), I am rather sorry now I did not pay the extra and have the built in GC the Vertex now has. This means I have to split my raid setup on a regular basis just to trim one drive, the crucial.

I do hope Crucial will continue to investigate the possibility to bring out a firmware that has self repair built in, or a utility that will work with raid.

Megabyte Maverick
grb

Crucial_Katana wrote:

The Crucial Wiper tool for user-initiated Garbage Collection is now available. It is for Windows XP and Vista only, and has been verified to work on firmware version 1571 and 1819. We are working on a solution for the Mac OS and will post it when available.

The Crucial Wiper tool will also be made available on the firmware download page, but we are posting it here in the forum first.

seems to run under w7 too, but has the same problem as OCZ wiper: doesn't work in 64bit mode. I had to boot w7 32bit from DVD to run the OCZ wiper.

I know this SSD stuff is relatively new technology and all, but seriously, Windows x64 has been around for over 5 years now.