Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Crucial m4 SSD 040H/04MH firmware available now

[ Edited ]

Revision Firmware 040H for the 2.5 inch m4 and 04MH for the Crucial mSATA are now available.  If you are updating the firmware on the Crucial Adrenaline drive, you must uninstall the dataplex software before attempting the firmware update. Also, you can not use version 040H to update the Crucial mSATA, or  04MH to update the Crucial 2.5 inch m4.

Please visit the following link to download this firmware update:

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Release Date: 12/04/2012

Firmware for the Crucial m4 2.5” SSD is being updated from version 010G to 040H.

The m4 is updatable to this new firmware starting from any previous version in a single step.

Do NOT use any other m4 firmware update for your 2.5” SSD such as the 04MH firmware for the mSATA form factor.

Version 040H includes the following changes:

• Improved robustness in the event of an unexpected power loss. Significantly reduces the incidence of long reboot times after an unexpected power loss.
  • Corrected minor status reporting error during SMART Drive Self Test execution (does not affect SMART attribute data).
  • Streamlined firmware update command for smoother operation in Windows 8.
  • Improved wear leveling algorithms to improve data throughput when foreground wear leveling is required.

Additional details can be found in the firmware guide

Please use this thread to provide feedback.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Crucial m4 SSD 040H/04MH firmware available now

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Nice one Crucial! :smileyhappy:

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

DIMMented
rpsgc

[ Edited ]

Didn't Crucial learn anything from the last firmware update?

Either tell *keep it courteous* to make the bloody updater work when executed from another drive other than C:\ or put up a WARNING telling people to run the updater from C:\ or it won't work (and the error message might freak them out thinking their Windows installation is broken)

Seriously, is that so hard?

Newsflash: it's 2012. People have multiple HDD, multiple partitions and not everyone downloads stuff onto their C:\ drive, especially if they're using anSSD which they are if they're running this updater!

:smileyfrustrated:

Kilobyte Kid
thermoman

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Upgrading Firmware from 0309 to 040H via firmware iso image did not work!

m4_fw_update2.jpg

I have a bootable USB thumb drive (GRUB installed) and booted memdisk with the m4 firmware iso - no physical cd-rom drive involved. But i don't think this is the problem here.

Anybody out there getting the same error using the firmware iso image?

Edit: Using the alternative boot method works - Firmware update completed successfully.

Just found out you're using syslinux and memdisk yourself in the iso image ... haha ... just copied the boot2880.img to the USB thumb drive and used the "floppy" instead of "floppy raw" parameter to memdisk - worked.

Bit Baby
fcrgnin

in reply to thermoman

Can you or someone who knows how to achieve what I need to achieve give me a hand please?

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 15", non-retina, the 256GB M4 is now where the old HDD used to be, on the HDD space to the left of the battery, I also removed my optical drive and installed the old HDD in that place using an optibay kit.

Up to firmware 000F I could burn a CD with the firmware and boot it with an external USB optical drive and upgrade the SSD firmware normally, but for some reason since 010G and now this one, I can't do it! It loads a black screen with a huge crucial logo, then it gets stuck on a step called loading boot2880.img or something like that, I don't remember well. Then, I can hear after about 10 seconds that the optical drive stops completely and my computer doesn't do anything, I have to press and hold power to force a reboot. Why is this happening? And can I use a USB key to install the firmware? If so, how? I can see that this person above me (hopefully nobody posted anything before me :smileytongue:) successfully installed using a USB flash drive, he said that he had to modify a command or something, could someone tell me how to do that please? I am experienced with computers, I just want to get this right the first time so if anyone has instructions please share!?

Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid
thermoman

[ Edited ]
in reply to fcrgnin

Hi fcrgnin.

The "loading boot2880.img" you see on the display is the information from a program called memdisk. Crucial (or micron) uses memdisk (http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/MEMDISK) to emulate a Floppy Disk Drive with a floppy inserted (2.88 MegaByte). The file boot2880.img is an image that contains some sort of DOS operating system plus the firmware files.

Before you see the "loading boot2880.img" message there should be an option to boot "default" or "alternative".

If you see this message and don't press any keys, "default" is booted after 3-5 seconds.

As soon as you see the message try entering "alternative" (without the quotes) and press enter.

Chances are memdisk can load the floppy drive image this way (at least i had to use this method for upgrading my notebook, see post above).

Good luck.

DIMMented
GeneO

in reply to thermoman

Can we revert to 0F if this isdoesn't work like thew last didn;t work?

Bit Baby
fcrgnin

in reply to thermoman

Hi thermoman, thanks for replying, I tried to type alternate as this was the second option but it got stuck on the same part, the one loading boot2880.img... I can't understand what Crucial did since 010G that my computer does not complete the upgrade anymore. Anyone got any information, please?

Kilobyte Kid
thermoman

[ Edited ]
in reply to fcrgnin

I guess your Mac uses an UEFI and not a traditional BIOS which might be the problem here.

Crucial states that at this moment there might be problems with UEFI systems and that they will release a version for UEFI systems in the future.

Please see the firmware page and the PDF guide.

cjm
Kilobyte Kid
cjm

I'd love to try a new firmware version, but with both a bootable CD and/or a  bootable USB device, I get a black screen and nothing further when I try to boot...

I've both called Crucial and posted here (http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Cannot-upgrade-downgrade-firmware-on-Mac-Mini-bla... but it seems nobody has any suggestions and I am just stuck with an expensive drive for which I can't update the firmware..