Binary Boss
bouldergramp
Accepted Solution

Crucial m4 Slowing Down Computer

[ Edited ]

I sent this email to Crucial Support:

"CT128M4SSD2.1J1002
(Crucial m4 128GB, SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-inch (9.5mm) SSD)
Dell Latitude D531

This drive has failed and I need an RMA #.
The computer slowed down to the point it was unusable.  I cloned the drive and replaced it with the original 80GB mechanical drive.

Now the computer works fine again.

I wear hearing aids and it is difficult to talk to tech support on the phone."

And got this reply:

"Thank you for contacting Crucial. Now it does sound like SSD might have an older firmware on that did infact have a bug in it which would slow the drive down and eventually make it so it is not usable. Luckily we have a fix for the drive with our latest firmware update to 070H. Now if the drive can be seen in BIOS which it sounds like it can be you can simply go to the link below and download the firmware and then burn this to a CD and then boot to the CD and it will update the firmware for you.

Once you have completed the firmware update you will need to perform the following steps below. Use the manual boot file and burn it to a disk.

http://www.crucial.com/help/ssd/index.aspx?source=web%3fsource%3dweb%3fsource%3dweb%3fsource%3dweb%3...

The behavior you are describing is consistent with deleted cells not being cleaned from your drive. This can result in reduced performance or even complete lack of response from the SSD.

There is a feature built into our SSDs called Active Garbage Collection. Letting Active Garbage Collection run on the drive for an extended period will clean these cells and restore the SSD to a healthy state.

To do this on your PC or Laptop, you will need to let the SSD idle for 6 to 8 hours.

In a PC, simply disconnect the SATA cable from your SSD and only leave the power cable connected. After switching your PC on, the SSD will be in an idle state but still have power so Garbage Collection can function. Leave the PC powered for the 6-8 hours.

In a laptop, power on with the SSD installed and enter your system BIOS (please refer to your system manufacturer’s documentation on how to access the BIOS.) Leave the laptop in the BIOS menu for the 6-8 hours.

Following this process, your drives functionality and performance should be restored.

To prevent the SSD performance degrading again, you can make adjustments to your power settings:

- Go to Control Panel
- Go to Hardware and Sound
- Go to Power Options
- Select Change Plan Settings
- Select Change Advanced Settings
- Make sure the 'hard disk' field is set to ‘never’ (Laptop users select 'battery and power adapter')."

I am not encouraged by this response.

Before I requested the RMA I ran 

1.0.0.41_Crucial_070H.07.00_WinSSDUpdater_SignedW8

from the desktop.  It hangs the computer and after watching the blue Visa circle go round and round for half an hour I did a hard shutdown.

Binary Boss
bouldergramp

Re: Crucial M4 5200 hours bug still occurring after firmware upgrade to 07HM

in reply to bouldergramp

This is my first post to this forum and I probably put it in the wrong place.

Community Manager
pamelaz

in reply to bouldergramp
Hi bouldergramp, I moved it to it's own thread. :smileyhappy:
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to pamelaz

You can check your current firmware version by doing this: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/READ-ME-FIRST-SSD-Guides-and-FAQs-updated-April-2...

The email from tech support recommends using the manual boot file version and I also recommend using it over the Windows updater.  You need to burn it to a CD or DVD as an ISO (arather than data) and then change your boot order to boot from it and it will flash the firmware.  Without WIndows in the way there are less things that can go wrong!

The setting the drive to never power down and leaving it idle for several hours is sound advise.  It will allow the drives garbage collection to recover the drive and set it so that it is able to function in the future.  Disconnecting only the drives power is probably not an option on a laptop so leaving the machine in the bios screen for a few hours (where the drive will have power but not be used) should be an equivalent action.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
bouldergramp

in reply to targetbsp

Thanks for the reply.

I let the computer run all night on the BIOS screen and now it is working fine.  I'll swear I read someplace that Crucial recommended the user Log Off for 30 min once a week to let garbage collection occur.  There must be some idle state other than the BIOS screen to enable garbage collection.

My Hardware ids is 040H and the computer OS is Vista Business.

I burned  crucial-c400.070H.07.00 to a disk and booted the laptop from that disk reulting in the DOS screen with a cursor.  The screen just sat there for probably 30 sec then Vista booted.  The Hardware ids remains unchanged. 

Binary Boss
bouldergramp

in reply to bouldergramp

bouldergramp wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I let the computer run all night on the BIOS screen and now it is working fine.  I'll swear I read someplace that Crucial recommended the user Log Off for 30 min once a week to let garbage collection occur.  There must be some idle state other than the BIOS screen to enable garbage collection.

My Hardware ids is 040H and the computer OS is Vista Business.

I burned  crucial-c400.070H.07.00 to a disk and booted the laptop from that disk reulting in the DOS screen with a cursor.  The screen just sat there for probably 30 sec then Vista booted.  The Hardware ids remains unchanged. 

I hate to admit this but I finally updated the hardware to 070H.  My problem was I had no CD disks so I burned the image file on a DVD thinking it made no difference because my disk drive reads either one.  Anyway, I finally found my last blank CD at the bottom of a pile and decided to try it one last time.  It worked but the DOS screen ended with something about an error and A:/ at the prompt.  I just hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to exit and lo and behold, after restart my Hardware ids showed 070H.

What a mess.  I haven't burned a CD in years.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to bouldergramp

Odd. A DVD should have worked.

Binary Boss
bouldergramp

in reply to targetbsp

targetbsp wrote:

Odd. A DVD should have worked.

I agree. I explored the discs after writing to make sure the crucial-c400.070H.07.00 iso file was there.

As I tell my wife, computers and their operators aren't perfect.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to bouldergramp

I am not sure what you mean but it's not the .iso file that should be on the disc after burning process :smileywink:

Binary Boss
bouldergramp

in reply to bogdan

You are right.  it is a BOOT  folder, LEGAL.txt, REVISION.txt.

That is why the DVD didn't work.

Like I said, I havn't burned a disc in years.