Kilobyte Kid
c26zwj

Drive not detected in 2 different computers

I purchased my SSD on 1/18/2012 from BestBuy's site.  Model number is CT256M4SSD2.  I updated the firmware the last time to 000F I think.  I did update the firmware twice successfully but have not done so in a while since I was afraid of it disappearing.  So it has been working fine for a while now.

This is what happened:

I have 4 drives in my computer.  I stupidly and accidently deleted everything on two of my HDDs.  I know it was stupid.  I am a fairly advanced computer user.  I went to college for computers and before this happened I used Arch Linux on a daily basis so I know what I'm doing but I just made a stupid mistake.  Anyway I wanted to try to recover some of what I lost.  I have a 160GB HDD which suffered from deleted files and I only use the SSD for my OS so my plan was to take the SSD and that 160GB HDD and stick them in my windows pc (not the computer they were originally in).  I thought that way I could use a file recovery program on the 160GB drive and copy what I could recover onto the SSD deleting the OS if needed.  This is where the problem starts.  My Windows PC can't detect the SSD in the bios or in Windows.  I try different cables, different ports, nothing works.  So I decide to stick it back in the original PC and check the bios.  Not there.  I try different cables and different ports but it is just not there.  I also tried power cycling it as described here but it is still missing.  Is it dead?  What can I do? 

The original PC with Arch Linux has an Intel DZ68BC motherboard.

The Windows 7 PC has an Asus M4A77TD motherboard.

Both computers I built myself.

Binary Boss
Zoandar

Re: Drive not detected in 2 different computers

Same issue here with an M4 512GB drive. Power cycling does nothing. The drive is undetected, after sudden failure last night. It was new 11/25/2012 and has worked OK up until last night.

Binary Boss
Zoandar

Re: Drive not detected in 2 different computers

I've no idea how long this will last, but I just got my M4-512GB to detect again. Rather than connecting only the power cable, as is suggested by Crucial, I left the computer on the BIOS screen, and had both the power and data cables connected, and let it sit that way for a couple hours. When I came back and reset to boot back into the BIOS, the M4-512 then showed up. :smileyhappy:

I am backing up its most recent files (those I had not yet backed up) in case it pulls this stunt again.