qyx
Kilobyte Kid
qyx
Accepted Solution

EZ Gig II Cloning and Imaging Software for Windows

This software is bundled with some versions of the 256 GB SSD.  I used the software and cables from APRICORN (which makes EZ GIG II) to successfully clone from a laptop having two drives [a tiny SSD and normal hard drive] to replace the tiny (64 GB Toshiba) SSD with windows 7 and all my programs to a new larger (128 GB) ssd from Crucial.  It worked perfectly and there were no alignment problems.

Has anyone tried this software to clone from a mechanical hard drive C:\ to an SSD successfully? and can I expect to have no alignment problems, as it seems to be much more problematic to clone from a mechanical hard boot drive (hidden windows partition and c: partition) to a new SSD.

Thanks.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: EZ Gig II Cloning and Imaging Software for Windows

[ Edited ]

The type of drive used as a clone source is irrelevant.  Either type can be aligned or not aligned and the only difference is the SSD will care and the hard drive won't (unless its a new 'advanced format' type).  And independent of the source alignment the destination can be aligned or not depending on the cloning software and settings used.  The hidden partition is part of Windows 7 and is unrelated to the type of drive used.

I've not even heard of the software in question - let alone used it so I can't help you with regards to how well it will handle your scenario.  I tend to recommend drive snapshot around these parts simply because you have to make the destination partition yourself so as long as you do that right it can't be misaligned!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

qyx
Kilobyte Kid
qyx

in reply to targetbsp

Thank you, that was helpful.  I am going to try the software (bundled with Crucial Drive) and then see if I can correct alignment (or possibly set the correct alignment in the software - although that may be difficult as it insists on aligning to the heads).  If that does not work, I will try snapshot.

qyx
Kilobyte Kid
qyx

APricorn EZ GIG II attempt unsuccessful.  Could not copy MBR.  Plan B starts with partitioning with WIN 7 DVD but stopping before formating....

qyx
Kilobyte Kid
qyx

EZ GIG II cloning software worked.  Although partitions may not be perfrectly aligned, I did not want to reinstall all of my programs.  They key to the process was first reducing drive C to a size that fit easily on the target SSD. I resized the partition with ACronis Director 11 Home.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Load up AS SSD to check it's aligned - it'll say a number followed by OK in green if it's aligned, BAD in red if not.  You don;t have to run a benchmark.  You sound not to bothered but the performance difference is 50%!  Kinda pointless buying a drive this fast and not worrying about a potential 50% performance hit. :smileyhappy:

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!