Kilobyte Kid
Fridaythe13th

Failure of Crucial Drives

My Company purchased 10 Crucial SSD's. 8 are 256GB and 2 are 512GB.  These were purchase at different times during the last 11 months.  We have experienced 5 disk crashes.  One replacement drive has also crashed.  I don't get it.  All were installed in HP Elitebook 8560p.  Now we heard replacement drives are backordered.  But we don't want them anyway.  How can we subject ourselves to this risk?  Why Why Why????????

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Failure of Crucial Drives

in reply to Fridaythe13th

You need to install firmware 0309 or newer on the m4 to prevent a bug causing crashes after 5184 hours of use.

You can subscribe to this thread to be advised of any future firmware updates: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Firmware-Update-Notifications/td-p/57854

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
Viper881

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

We had updated all those drives to 0309 (some of which were updated further to 000F) and it didn't help. 5 out of 11 drives have failed. We had verified they were updated by looking at the hardware ID under drive properties in the Device Manager. So try again.

SODIMM Sherpa
Holt

[ Edited ]
in reply to Viper881

Fridaythe13th started a Thread and Viper881 responses? Can I take this serious or is some {word filter evasion} on us here?

Kilobyte Kid
Fridaythe13th

Viper881 is one of my programmers and he can't respond right now because his drive just crashed.  That makes 6. Yesterday I went to best buy and bought external dirves for everyone with Crucial SSD computers and told everyone to image their drives every day.  Lucky I did because Viper881 imaged his yesterday and so only lost a morning of work.  (I lost a month).  By the way, he double checked his firmware and definitely had the latest.  I cant believe we are the only ones with this problem.  Again, our computers are all HP8560p Elitebooks.  What say you Crucial??????

Memory Leak Geek
lenfish

Hmmmmm.................................!!

Len

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to lenfish

If you want to talk to Crucial, contact them via the link in my signature.  This is a user to user support forum and I for one have no idea why you would see a high failure rate outside of the firmware issue!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
Fridaythe13th

in reply to targetbsp

That last drive crash was a false alarm.  It seems to be docking station issue.  But the other ones are real.  I will contact Crucial.

Binary Boss
critidoc

good luck, I have had 2 out of 3 drives fail unexpectedly running 0309 or 00F firmware. waiting for the 3rd to fail. customer support worthless, all they want to do is replace the drive with a refurbished one. they claim there are no problems with the drives.

Bit Baby
swamirogers

in reply to critidoc

I have also had 2 of 3 drives fail.  Both M4 512GB drives with latest firmware.  they replaced both no problem, but that is an unacceptable failure rate.  I'm waiting for the 3rd to die any day now.