Kilobyte Kid
idiot101

Freezing of the OS on the Crucial M4

[ Edited ]

I am using a 64GB M4 with the latest firmware 0009.

I am using it on a Thinkpad SL410(T6670, 4GB RAM) with Windows 7 64bit.

Every two or three days(sometimes more, like a month), I experience freezes in the running of the system where my CPU activity light stays lit up for about 30 seconds and I am unable to do anything at all. First the windows that I have opened freeze up(happened when browing, when using word, etc). The freeze starts of slow ending with the pointer becoming inactive. This state remains for about 30 seconds and every thing returns to normal.

No blue screens, nothing to indicate that it froze. It automatically resumes the operations that began before the freeze and I continue working. Has anybody else been experiencing this?

I have experienced this even after a clean install.

I have not made any tweaks to my system other than disable hibernation and restore points.

It is not frequent but is annoying.

If you leave this out, I am extremely happy with the drive.

Any response is much appreciated.

P.S. If there is any additional information that you require, please let me know.

Binary Boss
SeanWebster

Re: Freezing of the OS on the Crucial M4

Are you using the latest SATA drivers?

Kilobyte Kid
idiot101

I run the drivers that are provided by the Lenovo update software. According to it, every thing is up to date. I have checked on the Lenovo website for updates. Found none.

JEDEC Jedi
m0fus

[ Edited ]

'official' laptop drivers are oem from vendors, so you wil not get updates to the latest that builders of desktops get, but you can try the latest drivers from said vendors.

[ Edited ]

I have downloaded the latest drivers from the Intel website. I will report back if the freeze occurs again. The thing is that the freezing is not predictable. I have gone a couple of months with out a problem before it occured. And some times, the interval has been less than a couple of days. I have had it occur 4 times in the last 3 months.

Kilobyte Kid
Aryantes

I purchased my M4 in April, first batch from crucial.com

I JUST started experiencing this on my desktop.

Same exact symptoms, the currently open windows freeze up, mouse can still move. Eventually, mouse freezes and the clock stops.

However, mine does not recover, I have to power off and back on again. It freezes within an hour of being in windows, regardless of activity.

I ended up formatting the drive, upgrading firmware from 0001 to 0009 and reinstalling windows 7 and updating drivers. Still have the same problem.

My mobo is SATA2, so I have an SATA3 pcie card that the M4 was connected to. I removed it and connected it directly to motherboard to eliminate a variable but still have this problem.

Will continue troubleshooting.

Kilobyte Kid
ngasset

Hi,

I have been experiencing a very similar issue for 2 days with a M4 bought in may, update to firmware 009 (everything worked perfectly before with the new firmware).I am on SATA2 and my OS is Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (with kenel 2.6.38-13).

The sequence of events:

The system cpu goes up for a few minute, then the active windows  freeze followed a few second after by a freeze of the screen, that then become black.

Before everything freeze, I can do ctrl+alt+F1, but I receive errors from the drive when I try to log-in.

At the end I always need to shutdow the computer: if I reset the computer do not recognise the M4 SSD, but if I power-off power-on the machine, the SSD is back again ....

Nico

Binary Boss
Zippo

[ Edited ]

ngasset wrote:

Hi,

I have been experiencing a very similar issue for 2 days with a M4 bought in may, update to firmware 009 (everything worked perfectly before with the new firmware).I am on SATA2 and my OS is Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (with kenel 2.6.38-13).

The sequence of events:

The system cpu goes up for a few minute, then the active windows  freeze followed a few second after by a freeze of the screen, that then become black.

Before everything freeze, I can do ctrl+alt+F1, but I receive errors from the drive when I try to log-in.

At the end I always need to shutdow the computer: if I reset the computer do not recognise the M4 SSD, but if I power-off power-on the machine, the SSD is back again ....

Nico

I'm having the exact same problem.  I have a 256GB 002 M4.  My SSD has been flawless since I bought it.  Starting Friday my laptop has begun freezing and then going to 0x000000F4 BSOD.  I configured Windows to write a minidump to the windows directory.  It fails to do so.  This also makes me believe the drive becomes unresponsive which is why the minidump can't be written.  It happens every hour or so no matter what it's doing.  I can reboot the machine, not open a single app, and it will still BSOD after 60-70 minutes.  Dell diagnostics come back clean, memtest says my memory is OK.  I swapped sticks anyways, and it's still freezing up.  This evening I upgraded to 009 firmware.  I'll let you know if this solves my issues.  I did a system restore back to December 12th thinking one of the latest Windows updates caused it.  The way it freezes is strange.  I can move my mouse, I can still hear music that I was playing, but I can't open any programs and already open applications are non-responsive.  After a few minutes of that I get the following BSOD:

Binary Boss
Zippo

Just got another BSOD

Kilobyte Kid
Aryantes

So I emailed tech support outlining my issues and what I had done to help solve it.

They responded and asked me to power cycle the drive.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/ssd@tkb/article-id/32

To my surprised, it seems to have worked.

I have installed my OS again and things are not freezing up like they were before.

Try it out. I believe mine was also due to sudden power loss or improper shutdown, now that they mention it.