Binary Boss
jon12
Accepted Solution

Is my M4 dead????

I was listening to music and doing some heavy research online (clicking through many websites) when all of a sudden my Macbook Pro froze and the screen turned dark with vertical red lines. I had to shut it down manually.

When I restarted it, all I could see was gray screen and after a couple of mins appeared a flashing gray question mark.

At first I tought it may be GPU but then I tried safe-booting from my USB and opened Disk Utility and it wouldn't show my SSD....

Does that mean that my M4 died on me???
Binary Boss
pronoobs

Re: Is my M4 dead????

in reply to jon12

Same happened to my V4 SSD. lost all my data and had to reflash firmware in order to get it working again.

Binary Boss
jon12

in reply to jon12
Hm, so you are saying it's not actually dead? How do I "reflash firmware"?
JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to jon12

The V4 and the M series drives have little in common so a tip for one wouldn't be relevant to the other.  For starters, the M series firmwares aren't destructive to data.

It's not necasarily your SSD at fault.  The M4 has no power loss protection and can 'disappear' from your system in the event of a power loss or severe crash.  It can be recovered like so: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from...

So it's possible the crash took out your drive rather than your drive caused the crash.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
jon12

[ Edited ]
in reply to jon12
That sounds encouraging, thanks. I was planning to do a power cycle tomorrow anyway, so hopefully it works!

If I do manage to get it working again, I guess I'd better update the firmware as well? I was on 010G...
JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to jon12

I can recall that 010G were causing disappearing problems for some number of users so it would be worth trying the latest 070H I guess.

Binary Boss
jon12

in reply to bogdan

After performing a "power cycle", my SSD is alive and kicking!  Really glad it was just that and not actually dying. Performing a power cycle is a fairly easy process. All you need to do is the following:

1. Shut down your Macbook.
2. Plug it in electricity, turn it on and leave it alone for 20 mins while the gray folder with the question mark is flashing.
3. Shut down your Macbook.
4. Unscrew the back of your Macbook and disconnect your SSD from the SATA cable for 30 secs.
5. Connect it back to the SATA cable, put the back plate of your Macbook back on and turn on the Macbook.
6. It booted again for me.

Also, I updated my SSD firmware from 010G to 070H just to be on the safe side. I hope I won't ever have to do the power cycle again.

Binary Boss
jon12

in reply to jon12

Well, the SSD just froze again.... but this time it would boot fine after the shutdown.

Should I RMA the SSD? I don't think I trust it anymore...

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to jon12

Hmm... I would probably check the SMART data first but I am not sure how to do it under Mac OS.

SODIMM Sherpa
Hallo_32

in reply to jon12

On which firmware version are you?