09-02-2013 02:54 AM
Hi all, i've had my PC for about a year now and my OS (Windows 8) no longer works. It was installed on my SSD as a primary drive so i was thinking that my SSD is broken. I've attempted to reinstall/repair/refresh my OS on the drive but it only detects my other storage drive not my SSD. Although the SSD does appear on my boot manager list.
Can anyone tell me if my SSD is broken? i'm not sure if i should buy a new one or not.
09-03-2013 02:03 AM - edited 09-03-2013 02:12 AM
Edit: Is your drive M4 from Crucial?
It is possible the drive has old firmware revision and has been affected by a well known issue. Please try to check firmware revision and power on hours count - you could check both with CrystalDiskInfo (just be careful to deny any permission to install the ads during setup). If you would like that you could post your CrystalDiskInfo data here (Edit -> Copy), just hide drive's serial number.
If your firmware is 0009 or lower and power-on ours count is about 5000 or higher the first thing I would do would be to update drive's firmware - I suggest using CD/USB prepared with Manual Boot File method.
09-12-2013 04:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your SSD. To help us establish the cause of the issue, could you please confirm as much of the information below as possible:
- What exact issues are you having?
- How long has the drive been in use?
- When did the problems first occur?
- What is the SSD being used for? (O/S, Storage, Page File, etc.)
- What is the SSD part number printed on the sticker (starting CT):
- Your exact system or motherboard model:
- Have you tried it in another system?
- Your current BIOS revision:
- Do you know your SATA speed (SATA-I 1.5Gb/s, SATA-II 3.0Gb/s, SATA-III 6Gb/s)?
- Operating system:
- What color or number is the SATA port the drive cable is connected to (Desktop users only)?
- Have you tried different SATA cables (Desktop users only)?
- Have you tried different SATA ports (Desktop users only)?
- Do you have more than one bay for hard drives/SSDs and have you tried the different bays (Laptop users only)?
- What Firmware version is printed on the sticker on the drive?
- Have you upgraded this and if so, what is the current version?
- What BIOS SATA mode are you using (IDE/ AHCI/ RAID)?
- Do you have screen shots available (if relevant)?
If you have any other questions please just ask.