Kilobyte Kid
harpocrat

Issues with Crucial M4 that refuses to initialize ... even after the latest firmware update

Hello there,

I would appreciate a little help.  I've had a 512GB Crucial M4 for some time, and it's been great.  Yesterday, my laptop did a header (BSOD) and the drive now refuses to initialize.  I've tried the instructions elsewhere in this form:  just connecting it to SATA power for a time on a separate PC, disconnecting it, and then connecting it again for 20 minutes and trying to put it back into the laptop...  No luck.  I get an Initialization Error from my Thinkpad x201 Tablet BIOS whenever it boots up.  

It does, however, let me update the firmware.  I was able to update the firmware from 000F to the most recent.  So the drive cannot simply be dead.

Is there any other ways to try to get the drive to initialize?

Thanks!

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: Issues with Crucial M4 that refuses to initialize ... even after the latest firmware update

in reply to harpocrat

What exactly do you mean by "refuses to initialize"? Can you see the content of the drive? Is it visible in BIOS menu (like BIOS Hard Disk Drives menu or something like that after you enter the BIOS Setup Utility with F1 key)?

It's a little confusing since it has let you update the firmware...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
harpocrat

Re: Issues with Crucial M4 that refuses to initialize ... even after the latest firmware update

in reply to bogdan

I share your confusion.  The drive will show up in BIOS but will not let you interact with it through any BIOS drive utilities.  The thinkpad splits up an initialization error whenever it is inserted but it does see it.  Trying to bring it up in an alternative machine results in similar behaviours and in Windows 7, it gives me I/O errors or CRC check failures.  The drive partitions cannot be seen and the drive cannot be initialized from within Windows.

It will, however, allow you to insert the drive, boot to the firmware update CD and successfully update or downgrade the firmware.  I've been able to upgrade it from 000F to 070H and back down to one of the 04 versions.

Any ideas?

Kilobyte Kid
harpocrat

in reply to harpocrat

Are there any diagnostics I could run that would help you figure out what's going on?

Kilobyte Kid
Blackbird_2

in reply to harpocrat

I've also had a similar problem, but with the 64 Gb model.
Basically, about a month ago, the computer started crashing after about 45mins to an hour of use. Unresponsive for a minute or two, then BSOD. Restart and its fine again for an hour. Then, it just stopped showing up in BIOS. My other drives were there, just not the SSD. Then it would randomly show up in BIOS (I installed Linux on the other drive so at least I had access to most of my files which were stored there).
So...THEN the drive would randomly show up in Linux, but not consistently. I haven't had any access to the drive in a week or more.
I had read on one of the forums here about using Parted Magic to 'reset' the disk. It shows up in Parted under storage drives, but won't give me access, or show up in devices (as my other drives do), and I can't seem to 'add device' either.

And the kicker, even though it isn't showing up in BIOS, it STILL showed up when I tried to install new firmware, which it seemed to do successfully.

Any ideas how to fix this?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to Blackbird_2

@blackbird_2: that sounds very much like the bug in firmare version 0009 and older.  You say you have successfully updated the firmware so are you still having problems after the firmware update?

Kilobyte Kid
Blackbird_2

in reply to targetbsp

Yes. I should have been a little clearer on that :smileyhappy:
Drive still not showing up in BIOS or while running Linux.

Kilobyte Kid
Blackbird_2

in reply to Blackbird_2

To clear up some more ambiguity...
I doubled checked, it is now running the latest firmware confirmed by Parted Magic...but still is unaccessable...

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Blackbird_2

Blackbird_2 wrote:

I doubled checked, it is now running the latest firmware confirmed by Parted Magic...but still is unaccessable...

Have you tried this? http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-M4-disappeared-after-restart/m-p/110880#M...

Should recover it from a disappeared state.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to harpocrat

harpocrat wrote:

Are there any diagnostics I could run that would help you figure out what's going on?

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html will show you the SMART diagnostic data from drives including the Crucial SSD's