Kilobyte Kid
gimmepizzaslow

Laptop Overheating

I installed a M500, and it works well for the most part. For some reason my computer has begun overheating and shutting down. It never did this before the hard drive swap. I was under the impression that an SSD ran cooler than an HDD. Any ideas as to why this may be happening?

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: Laptop Overheating

[ Edited ]
in reply to gimmepizzaslow

M500 has temperature sensor built in. What temperatures (and possibly max temperature before shutting down) does it show for your drive? You can check it with the tools like CrystalDiskInfo.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
gimmepizzaslow

in reply to bogdan

38 celsius currently

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]

It shouldn't be overheating then. My other SSD usually gets up to 35-39 ºC in laptop. 

Also M500's operating temperature is 0°C to 70°C but the drive has thermal protection and if it reaches a temperature of 65 ºC it would try to adjust workload and power consumption to decrease the temperature.

What makes you think that the drive (or laptop perhaps) is overheating? Maybe it's just a coincidence or something different is happening there?

See what can happen with few years old laptop's cooling system :smileywink:

Before cleaning

DSCF6620.jpg

After cleaning

DSCF6624.jpg

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
gimmepizzaslow

in reply to bogdan

It is a very new laptop (6 months). Also, I cleaned it within the last month. Windows will actually shut it down, and upon startup show the error screen stating that it was because of temperature. The bottom of the computer is very hot to the touch as well.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Hi gimmepizzaslow,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your system.

Adding an SSD to your system should not increase the temperature at all.  Can you please try the system with the original hard drive installed to see if it is still overheating?

It would also be great if you could confirm the make and model of the laptop you are using?  This is so I can check to see if there is any compatibility issue between this laptop and SSD's.

If your system is still overheating without the SSD then we know it's not a problems with the SSD but something else in your system and I would recommend contacting the manufacturer.  If it does not overheat with the SSD removed we would be more than happy to look at arranging an exchange for you.  To do this please contact the customer service team in your region using the links in my signature and they would be more than happy to help. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service