Kilobyte Kid
hawaiianmetal
Accepted Solution

M4 256GB SSD access issues

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have an M4 256GB (P/N CT256M4SSD2) that was purchased in In Sept of 2011. It had been working flawlessly up until last month, and I now problems writing to the device periodically. I use the device as the secondary D: drive in my Lenovo W510 and only for Hyper-v hosted virtual machines. When the drive starts acting up, any VM that I am running hangs (it doesn't blue screen). From my host machine (Windows 8), the drive can still be seen in Windows Explorer, and sometimes I am able to browse the file system, but this may be cached information. At no time am I able to write to the device during this condition. For example, open a command prompt and try to create a folder. When I try this, the explorer.exe process of my host machine will usually hang.

During this time in the host OS, I have hundreds of IO access errors shown in the Windows system log. Here is a sample.

The IO operation at logical block address 5c1850 for Disk 1 was retried.

Others events reflects different block addresses. Interspersed within these messages, I'll find the following

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: D:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume3.

(A device which does not exist was specified.)

Rebooting my host OS solves the problem for a few minutes or maybe an hour. I have tried to remove and reinsert the drive (it runs from my DVD drive bay) multiple times and also do a full NTFS format of the device, but neither of these have helped.

At this point, I've concluded that the drive is failing.

Please advise what the next step should be.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: M4 256GB SSD access issues

[ Edited ]
in reply to hawaiianmetal

The next step should be to check other threads, time close to yours, for a similar issues and possible solution ;-)

Then you should check what is the firmware version on your drive and what is the  power-on hours count for it - you can check that with this tool.

If your firmware number is lower than 0309 and power-on hours count is higher than 5000 hours you should update M4's firmware. Older firmware versions (0001, 0002 and 0009) have a bug that may cause random freezes and BSODs if the drive has been power on for more than about 5000 hours.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
hawaiianmetal

in reply to bogdan

Thanks. I have updated the firmware and will report back on how things work.

Kilobyte Kid
HoneyMustard

[ Edited ]
in reply to hawaiianmetal

Hawaiianmetal - do you have any results for us?

I'm having the same issue where my M4 SSD won't show up during boot on a 7 month old Sager.  This is after the notebook has shut down so unexpectedly that there isn't even an event in the OS event logs. I've just spent another day laying down a clean OS (WIN7 Ultimate); this was the second time this week, before I realized that I wasn't seeing the SSD in the list during bootup.

I've tried the suggestion to powerup and leave in setup mode for 20 minutes, shutdown and remove SSD for 30 seconds, do it all again, to no avail. I've updated to 70H firmware. I was quite happy to see the notebook running when I awakened this morning after leaving it running overnight.

But 20 minutes after starting a multiplayer game, I unexpectedly shutdown again. I'm on the verge of going back to plain old 7200 RPM hard drive since I'm not trusting SSD anymore, and waiting for the technology to mature.

Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid
hawaiianmetal

[ Edited ]
in reply to HoneyMustard

Sorry you're still  having problems, HoneyMustard. Updating the firmware on my drive seemed to have solved the problem. I have been using the disk now for several weeks without a single incident like before. I haven't seen a single error listed in Event Viewer.

I also upgraded the BIOS in my laptop (Lenovo W510) at the same time, so I can't say definitively which step solved it, but CrystalDiskInfo showed a run time of around 5200 hours, so it was just over the 5000 hour threshold as suggested by bogdan.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]
in reply to HoneyMustard

HoneyMustard, you may have different issue than hawaiianmetal had. 

I guess you drive was running fine for some time, is that correct? System with my M4 has been shut down unexpectedly for a few times (power failures, one day I got 4 of them) but I have had no problems afterwards. Did you try to check event viewer for any errors related with your shutdowns (not the unexpected one)? Could you post a screenshot or data generated for your drive by CrystalDiskInfo?

Kilobyte Kid
HoneyMustard

in reply to bogdan

Thanks Bogdan. I had checked the event viewer, but the shutdown was so sudden that nothing got written... just one moment humming along, next moment everything off. The only thing in the logs was a detected restart after unexpected shutdown. The sudden stops happened under load, and with no load, upon bootup, playing Spider, and inside an online game. Anywhere from 3 seconds to 2 hours from the most recent boot button push.

I can't post a screen shot of CrystalDiskInfo since I gave up and purchased a new M500 SSD and the old one is awaiting destruction with a ball peen hammer. I can tell you that it ran very well for 7 months, and that CDI showed somewhere around 220 startups with around 4850 hours used.

If I were the conspiracy minded type, I'd take notice that my drive began acting up the very day I got my email from Crucial telling me that the M500 was now available... If this one dies in 5000 hours, I'll be researching the competition.

Thanks again.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]
in reply to HoneyMustard

I wouldn't give up that drive so quickly ;-) With clear SMART data I would suspect some compatibility issue probably. Since you have already updated firmware above the 0009 one you should be free of the 5184 hours bug.

As your drive were running well for 7 months I started to wondering is it possible that some firmware update changed it's behaviour. I can see that 010G firmware disabled HIPM (Host Initiated Power Management) so I would play a while with 000F firmware probably. Or you could try to apply so called LPM registry fix but it is up to you anyway. Do not hit the drive with hammer yet, it is possible it could work well in other system :-)

Kilobyte Kid
itsmezed

in reply to bogdan

I am having the same problem with my 256gb M4.  Interestingly enough, it was purchased in the exact same year and month as the OP.  Is it possible there's a lot issue going on?

Bit Baby
Pancho

in reply to bogdan

Hello Bogdan,

I had a problem similar to the one described by hawaiianmetal: system very stable until recently, and then progressively subject to blue screens and system freezes that required reboot.

I checked a number of things, that gave no clue to the problem, and then checked Crucial site where I found your post.

Following the indications in your post, I saw that firmware revision number was 0009 and that the number of "Power On Hours" was 5632.

According to your suggestion, I updated the firware to the latest firmware version, 070H, and the problem has disappeared.

So thank you again for you contribution.