Memory Leak Geek
lorddm

M4 512 (FW 040H) and OS X 10.8.3

Hello All.

I would like to consult with knowledgeable people.

I have MacBook Pro MD101 / 16GB RAM / 512 MB SSD Crucial M4 (OS) / 1 TB WD Blue (for any data (in optibay) / Intel HD4000 (integrated video card).

10.8.2 was installed, it worked fine.

I try installed via App Store OS X 10.8.3.

Everything was normal. Several times rebooted Mac, several times "sleep / wake up."

But then the problems started:

1. After rebooting most of the programs will not run. For example: Total Finder, Finder, Thunderbird and even "Console" and Terminal is Crashed. Accidentally managed to "catch" the error log "fall" of the console (if need, I can posted it).

2. After rebooting I have more problems with the graphics of GUI.

Examples - attached.

10-8-3+Problem+1.jpg

10-8-3+Problem+1.jpg

This is not my first failed attempt to update to 10.8.3 and therefore is not the first time something is not clear.

After installation tried many different ways, eg delete caches, reset of SMC, delete the some programs, fix the right (on disks) on the disk utility, check the disk, and so on.

On the Apple support forum, many users are experiencing the same problem. Also with other SSD manufacturers. For example, Intel quickly has made a firmware update that fixes the problem.

I have another MacBook Pro 13 2010 (with nVidia 320M and Core 2 Duo 2,6 and some WD Blue HDD), and so it works perfectly normal on 10.8.3.

That suggest?

Please Sorry for my English....

Best Regards

MacBook Pro MD101, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Frontside Bus Driver
alex486

Re: M4 512 (FW 040H) and OS X 10.8.3

[ Edited ]

Others have reported problems with OS X 10.8.3 and as you mentioned, not just Crucial drives.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/M4-CT512M4SSD2-Freezing-after-Macbook-Pro-10-8-3-...

Perhaps it might be best to keep most of the posts on the same issue in one thread.

Have you contacted Crucial and asked if there are are plans to address this problem?

http://www.crucial.com/contact/

First they would have to be able to reproduce the problem.

I'm not sure if it affects every OS X 10.8.3 install or perhaps just a small percentage?

Edit: update to mention other reported problems but not sure if I have seen reports of graphics problems before. In  most cases the reports are unable to boot or the user is getting freezing or lockups.

Memory Leak Geek
jorg

[ Edited ]

To me this seems to have only to do with Apple and 10.8.3, nothing really with the SSD. But might be wrong.

What occured to me was that upon using the clamshell-mode (MacBook Pro with power supply conncted, using an external monitor while the laptop is closed), getting into sleep, when waking the system only patches of the screen are updated, while other parts are white until one moves the cusor over it. See picture (that one has Outlook, but also happend with another application in foreground).

Setup: Crucial m4 (FW 0309) 256 GB in regular HDD slot, late-2011 MacBook Pro, 8 GB RAM.

Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 11.09.34.png

jorg

Memory Leak Geek
macmaniak

Hi!

I have M4 64 Gb installed into optibay in my MacMini 2009. Original firmware - 009. OS 10.8.3, installed on the Crucial SSD. Mac freeze after sleeping sometime ((( I try to upgrade firmwre on 040 - and can't do it (( USB flash not recognized by my Mac as bootable device. CD and DVD disks made with  firmwre ISO - starts, but stopped with this state: 

Any ideas?

Upgrade Ace
front360

Memory Leak Geek
Yarrow

lorddm have you tried the new firmware? I am using it and can now boot without apparent issues, however I am experiencing a lot of beachball hangs, especially in Safari. Trying to determine if this is just me, or if others who are on 10.8.3 with the 070H firmware are also experiencing it. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Memory Leak Geek
lorddm

[ Edited ]

Hello.
I updated the Firmware up to 070 but on the my other SSD (M4 256).
Indeed, the firmware can be updated using ONLY the built-in CD drive (no external USB CD drive). I just moved the SSD to another Mac and updated him (it's much easier to replace than optibey to the native CD drive ...)
So the results.
10.8.3 - installed (regular update from the AppStore)
Several times the Mac goes into sleep and back. Everything is ok IF the mode of sleep - SAFE!
If the sleep mode is DEEP, on waking - I twice got problems GUI (see the screenshot).ScreenSh wakeup from DEEP mode sleep.jpg

But this can be fix simply move the desktop (go to another desktop or to the Dashboard)

Today I will try to update the Firmware on the M4 512 (this is the my main working Mac!)
Then - I'll write about the results

Memory Leak Geek
lorddm

Hello

I have the same result...

The FIRMWARE can be updated using ONLY the built-in CD drive (no external USB CD drive)

Good luck

Memory Leak Geek
lorddm

[ Edited ]

So, I updated the firmware on the M4 512 (up to 070H)

As in the previous case - the same problem when waking up the Mac from DEEP sleep mode. But on the M4 512 - GUI does not load: on a gray background appears a progress bar, which freezes on the penultimate point (I"ll try to make a photo later).
OS on M4 512 - 10.8.2.
I assume that the problem is not in 10.8.3! (please look my previous post) The problem in the Mac in the moment of awakening OS (if use DEEP mode of sleep).

I would like to get advice on the settings of application Chameleon SSD Optimizer.
I think this app can help to properly configure SSD.
I understand that all the functions of the app are available from the terminal, but I think that the app easier to configure.
In attach - link to PDF file - that contains screenshots of the application.

link to PDF-file - around 220kb

Dear experts, please comment it.
And, if possible, give their recommendations for tuning.
Advance - thank you very much

Memory Leak Geek
lorddm

Any body....
Any info?