Megabyte Maverick
Mel_P
Accepted Solution

M4-CT128 M4 SSD2 Firmware - 0309 not 0953

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have just started using this SSD, for the Windows pagefile and Photoshop Cache,  after having it for a while and I notice that it has firmware 0953 from device manager

Looking at the firmware upgrade info this firmware number does not appear - Can I update the drive it to the latest - 070H?

Thanks, Mel

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: M4-CT128 M4 SSD2 Firmware - 0953

[ Edited ]

I am not sure since I cannot find this firmware in Crucial's / Micron's Update Notifications. Perhaps it is possible the drive is branded by HP/Lenovo/Gateway - you could try to see if there is a HP/Lenovo/Gateway logo or brand on the sticker similar to this on http://www.memory4less.com/images/products/Img0922/MTFDDAK128MAM-1J1-lg.jpg

Or HP Model # or HP P/N or HP/HW - that kind of elements.

Can you post CrystalDiskInfo data ("Edit -> Copy" option)? Just please remove drive's serial number.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Megabyte Maverick
Mel_P

It was purchased from Overclockers UK as a Crucial branded SSD - no otherbranding

Crucial RealSSD M4 (CT128M4SSD2)

Crystal disc - says it does not know it - and Trim is unsupported?

Have I been sold a pup!

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

I don't know, it is just uncommon firmware revision. According to this thread one user claim he has been able to update his 0953 firmware succesfully. 

Do you feel like the update is necessary for your drive? What about "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach? :smileywink:

I would suggest to wait with this firmware update - maybe someone else throw in some more information.

Megabyte Maverick
Mel_P

[ Edited ]

Doing a web search I found this:

ATA device, with non-removable media
    Model Number:       OCZ-VERTEX3                             
 *removed personal information*
    Firmware Revision:  0953

With somebody else finding they have an "unknown" SSD

and 1 other person here:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Problems-with-updating-firmware-on-Crucial-m4-64G...

RealSSD seems to be an "enterprise" selling name rather than consumer?

I reckon these were a "lets get rid of some outdated rubbish SSDs batch?

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]

The other drive you are refering to is a different model from different producer and it has different controller. Different story.

CrystalDiskInfo should be able to read out data of your drive unless there is some other driver/hardware handicap in your system. Please provide exact motherboard's/laptop's model and installed operating system version.

Megabyte Maverick
Mel_P

Windows 7.1

Gigabyte i7 board ACHI installed

The older Crucial (CT128M225) OS SSD drive is recognised by crystal and reports trim etc etc

This RealSSD is a mystery "dog"!

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

I have the opposite problem in that CDI hasn't recognised my M225 for a while.  Everything is described as vendor specific and the wear indicator appears to be a randomly generated number. :smileyvery-happy:

RealSSD was the name of the C300.  Early reviews of the M4 called it that too though I've not seen the branding recently.  I'm not sure if that was a branding dropped during the M4's life or never applied to the M4 and people just assumed it was called that?  Or if it's still a valid name that simply no-one uses anymore?

In any case, it in itself isn't an indicator of anything unusual, just the firmware version is.  Unusual firmwares are usually an indicator of a Micron OEM drive but your model number appears to be Crucial so I don't know.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Mel_P wrote:

Windows 7.1

Gigabyte i7 board ACHI installed

The older Crucial (CT128M225) OS SSD drive is recognised by crystal and reports trim etc etc

This RealSSD is a mystery "dog"!

Windows 7.1, I see :smileywink:

Gigabyte i7 isn't too precise but anyway it makes it likely that mobo has two controllers (for instance Intel's and Marvel's) and your M225 is connected to one of them while M4 is connected to the other one perhaps. That can be possible contributor to the difference that M225 is recognized properly while M4 isn't.

As far as I know no trim support can be related to the controller or the storage driver that is too old to support it.

I think I would check motherboard's manual and play a little bit with connections and then with storage drivers probably. The CrystalDiskInfo really should be able to show proper data that way or another.

Megabyte Maverick
Mel_P

[ Edited ]

Thanks Bogden / All,

I mean Windows 7 SP1!

Sorry about being "imprecise" - don't have details with me (they are somewhere!) but the M/B does have 2 controllers and yes I think only the older M225 is connected to one of the 4 Intel (ACHI?) disk connectors.  The M4 is connected to one of the "other 2" they are a different colour)

When I have time next weekend I will dig out the Gigabyte manual and look to see how the drives are connected.

I still don't know if I can update the firmware on the RealSSD M4 though - this 0953 seems to occur with a number of differently badged SSDs - but are they the same inside?  It certainly doesn't appear in the consumer SSDs line-up.

I have emailed Crucial support as they are "silent" here and await a response. (UPDATE - they have replied and say firmware can be updated.)

Mel