Bit Baby
MsSSD

M4 Disappearing Trick - Here For a Few Minutes, Gone After

Long, but have a working ending. So, I put Win8 on an empty M4 (FW 09) late last year. I don't use it much, but over time it got pretty full (64 GB version). It is a third disk on the system (win-732, Win-764, and Win-864 on the M4). The past month, not sure really - I didn't notice/detect the problem until soon after the April 2013 Windows patch Tuesday, the one where the kernel patch was causing problems - the drive letter would disappear soon after boot. After doing that April patch, my shutdowns were long. Maybe 90 seconds instead of perhaps a dozen. Looking at the event viewer I could see a problem with a HARDDISK (cryptic to the point of absurdity). Upon warm boost, often the M4 (Win8) would not register in the boot menu. This was preceded by the motherboard (Intel DP45SG) having a long boot (it would stick on a particular stage # (50) for a long time, perhaps 30 seconds or more). Eventually it would boot, but no M4/Win8 option. I could F2 the BIOS boot and enter the BIOS setup, immediately exit w/o save, repeat the boot and then have the M4/Win8 in the (windows) boot menu. I don't believe the patch Tuesday mess was a cause of the problem; it may have been a coincidence. After entering Win7 (Win8 I use rarely), the M4 drive was present. I could chkdsk it (as admin) and all was well. Then, after a period of time, it would be gone. Sometimes, the drive letter itself was no more. Sometimes, it would report itself as a RAM drive (huh?) and chkdsk would not operate on it. Sometimes I could get some directory contents, but when going deeper, nothing (maybe cached). A few more of these (in just a few seconds) and the drive would be gone again. (And a warm start/Windows restart, would likely have the disk gone from the BIOS boot -- story of that was already done above). So, I applied the 070H FW update. So far so good. You can consider this a "test outside the factory lab". The notes with the FW update say the problem it fixed was only seen in the lab - I am proof it is not just there. I had to use the ISO update method. The in-windows/restart gave a very ominous an cryptic error when it booted after the restart, something about needing the windows repair disk to continue. I hit Esc and got the regular boot menu, and went from there to the ISO method.
JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: M4 Disappearing Trick - Here For a Few Minutes, Gone After

in reply to MsSSD

Firmware 0009 (which is what you said you had) actually had a critical bug that would cause the drive to go pear shaped regularly once the drive has reached a certain age.  It may have been that which was the cause of your issue.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]
in reply to MsSSD

Please take a look at this particular release notes for 0309 firmware :smileywink: Then you may want to check Power-on Hours count of your drive with this tool. 

Edit: Well, targetbsp was faster than me :-)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby
MsSSD

in reply to targetbsp
5498 hours according to my SMART, so it has been doing it for a while now. OK then. A long story that could have been cut shorter - January 2012. 749 power cycles (7+ hours per cycle). ATA-9. UDMA5. Temp... 32 F. (0 C) I suppose temp is not relevant. I have a WD in a 24/7 machine that has been running since Oct09, and its SMART is showing 9563 hours, 64 power cycles. It should be 3x that many hours. The P/C I can believe. Another WD (this machine) has 12925 hours and 1456 power cycles (about 9 hours per). An other WD on ESATA is not showing any SMART info. Ah, well, thanks for the info. It should be back to normal now.