Upgrade Ace
front360

M4 GC During Dual Boot Menu or Sleep?

[ Edited ]

Does Garbage Collection(GC) activate on my M4, when I put my laptop to sleep?  I know Crucial tells laptop owners to "let the drive sit idle for an extended period, ideally at least overnight" for GC to do it's job.  I am wondering what else triggers GC?  Thanks.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: M4 GC During Sleep?

No, drives won't have power during sleep.  GC will occur when the drive is powered up but otherwise not in use.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

SODIMM Sherpa
felix

BIOS or Log Off screen for some hours were supposed to be the cases back in the first generations of SSD's.

Would it  also work for the M4's ?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Yeah. Though I find leaving my PC alone for cups of tea and lunch work equally effectively. :smileyvery-happy:

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]

Personally I do not perform any special GC breaks for my SSDs even though they are working in non-trim environments :smileyhappy:

SODIMM Sherpa
felix

Indeed, they don't seem to need idle time, even in a TRIM-enabled environment. Their NAND management seems to be in perfect shape, at least for my pair of M4's

Upgrade Ace
front360

bogdan wrote:

Personally I do not perform any special GC breaks for my SSDs even though they are working in non-trim environments :smileyhappy:

I've had nothing but trouble with the m4, so I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.  For example; if I have to install 15 DVD-ROMs of software and games on the m4, should(can) they all be installed back to back without a break?  Sometimes my m4 will crash in the middle of those 15 installs and when I reboot, my Windows install is Corrupt...

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

You should have no problem using the drive how you want.  It certainly shouldn't be corrupting data.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]

I would say most probably there should be always some breaks that could trigger GC - postman, coffee break, tea break, bio brake ;-) For a good and reliable drive writing data to it shouldn't be a problem, the worst thing that should/could happen there would be write performance drop I guess. But that's all.

From the other hand guys from XtremeSystems are testing SSD Write Endurance by writing to the drives non-stop for many days.

front360, did you check SMART data of your drive? What driver is running there, MSAHCI, iaStor? For iaStor did you try LPM registry fix?

Upgrade Ace
front360

bogdan wrote:

front360, did you check SMART data of your drive? What driver is running there, MSAHCI, iaStor? For iaStor did you try LPM registry fix?

bogdan, I'm currently using MSAHCI, but yes I have tried different iastor versions with and without the "LPM fix".  Here is the SMART data from my current m4 and a prior RMA'd m4.  http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/My-3rd-M4-Corrupted-Again-2nd-RMA/td-p/123534