PRK
Binary Boss
PRK
Accepted Solution

M500 SSD Not Recognized by Windows 7 Installation Disk

I cannot get the Windows 7 installation disk to recognize that there is an M500 SSD drive present.  The disk does recognize a Win7 HDD on USB2

The SSD drive is recognized in BIOS and when the SSD is on USB2 on Apricorn's DriveWire.  When on USB the drive is healthy in Disk Management and will accept a TXT file, opening it as well. I tried a "power cycle" of the formatted SSD in the internal drive slot, externally to the login of Win7 and externally to BIOS all with no change in drive recognition by the Full Version installation disk.  I had been first told by phone support that I may need an upgraded chipset INF file but Intel only supplies the EXE upgrade version for when the operating system is already installed.  I even tried as phone support later suggested to wait 30 minutes to see if it appeared as a drive for installation of Win7 on, no luck.

• Where do I find a raw Intel chipset INF file to install... How do I extract the INF file from the EXE or ZIP files available online?

I know the INF file was issued Aug 5, 2013 because I had installed it on the SSD previously and cloned it to the above HDD before trying to fresh install again the operating system on my SSD.  

• Can I browse for the INF file on the HDD when making the Windows 7 install?  Where is it?

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can make.

JEDEC Jedi
m0fus

Re: M500 SSD Not Recognized by Windows 7 Installation Disk

what type of system (mobile/desktop) are you trying this with?

Vanilla Windows 7 does not support advanced format hard drives.  You need a Windows 7 SP1 disc.

Here's a list of the upgraded disc images you can download from microsoft and burn to DVD: http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

They'll work with your current Windows 7 activation key.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

PRK
Binary Boss
PRK

I am installing the Win7 on a Dell Latitude D620 laptop.  Unfortunately I used my last DVD-R in burning scanned pictures for a friend.  I'll go buy some more in order to have one for Win7 SP1.

PRK
Binary Boss
PRK

The Win7 SP1 installation disk was prepared.  An attempt to install was again made, now with the new disk.  This ime the disk asked for the CD/DVD RW drives driver to install from a new CD.  I believe that when I zapped the drive on the DriveWire SATA adapter with the power cable in reverse, I also took out every driver on the M500.

Could some one direct me to an ISO file of the drivers included on the M500, the Win7 SP1 installation disk is asking to install them.  If I had a source for them I could then install as the Win7 asks for them.

Or should I request a cross-ship to get another SSD with all of the drivers included?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

There are no drivers.  Hard drives (including SSD's) don't have drivers.  If you require drivers during install to find your drives then I guess you are using raid?  And it is almost certainly ones for your raid controller you require.  You would need to slipstream these using something like: http://www.rt7lite.com/ or request a CD from your computers manufacturer if it's pre-built as it would then include the drivers.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Sorry, I just read you have a laptop so raid is out and I'm not able to edit posts unfortunately!

I'm not entirely sure what sata controller you could possibly have in a laptop that wouldn't be supported by Windows 7.

PRK
Binary Boss
PRK

Could I have knocked out the firmware on the SSD?  Can that be reinstalled without an operating system intact?

My original problem was that ocasionally every few days the laptop would freeze on boot up at the taskbar in silver with only date/time.  I thought a fresh install of the Win7 would fix it.  Then I have come up with these issues, first of the drive not being seen with the INF files being needed when I wanted to Load Drivers (I guessed the SATA controller drivers because of phone support) and then the CD/DVD drivers being asked for... Where do those drivers originate, in the Win7 disk or in the SSD, or not in the BIOS?

The reverse polarity cleaned out the contents of the SSD instead of the disk management as I was trying to do, but disk management still calls it a Healthy Partition??

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

All drivers would be on the Windows 7 CD.  SSD's are suplied blank and unformatted.

As for reverse polarity, you mentioned having the power cable in reverse in an earlier post.  The sata power cables are designed to only be fitted one way so I'm not sure what you mean by this?  If you have somehow managed to supply incorrect power to some part of your computer I would imagine it's damaged?

SODIMM Sherpa
Holt

[ Edited ]

If the SSD ist working and installed corretlly there are only 3 possibilities:

1. The Chipset ist configuered in RAID mode and you will need the proper (AMD oder Intel) F6 driver and load it during installtion

2. Your Notebook still has an old NVidisa chipset which ist configured in RAID or Pseudo-AHCI Mode (Enhanced oder Adavanced). As NVidia never licensed AHCI they implmented there own Pseudo-AHCI mode that can olny work with NVidias own driver too, so you will need the NVidia F6 driver.

3. Your sysem uses UEFI and Secure Boot is activ, bit the SSD ist already MBR partitioned. In this case Windows will not install to the drive and you have to zero sector 0 in order to allow the Windows installer to initialize and partition the drive wir GPT, as Secure Boot will only install from a GPT partitioned drive but will not change a MBR partitioning to GPT.