Kilobyte Kid
warbler13

M500 and Asus Q501LA

I am a very long time Crucial customer and have been a very satisfied customer. So I bought this Asus Q501LA with the 4th gen CPU and touch screen and a Toshiba 750 HD and Win8 since upgraded to win8.1. I have done many HD cloning and replacements. So this should be an fast and easy task.

Well, I have spent the last 3 days working on it and nowhere do I see any solution. Upgraded the M500 to the latest firmware M05. cloning with Macrium Reflect, EASEUS to do bk, all with the same result i.e. no sata drive in the Asus bios. So no boot, no nothing. The cloning was fine. The Crucial works fine as far as I can tell but for the life of me the Asus does not see it. No sure if the problem is Crucial or Asus or what. Read everything in various places, nothing but reports of M500 not working with Asus 501LA. So in desperation, I came here.

Anybody has any idea on how to fix this I will be very gratefull. 

Gau
Binary Boss
Gau

Re: M500 and Asus Q501LA

[ Edited ]
in reply to warbler13

also on the same boat as my Asus UX302LG... I tried the following:

- cloning but Windows won't boot

- Fresh install does not detect the drive

It works as an external drive (USB3) though

we have a similar thread here

Asus UX302LG and M500 compatibility

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

Exact same problem here on my Q501LA.  I've tried everything; I've tried cloning the entire disk, just the boot partition, I've turned off fastboot and secure boot in the BIOS, no dice.  Using M500 with M05 firmware.  Crucial, please get this sorted!

Kilobyte Kid
xp2k2k3

in reply to avatar77

Is that my problem here?  I have Asus M5A97 motherboard, I posted a few hours ago below this. I tried by now 11 times with different ways, can't make Windows 8 clean installation to boot up. I highly suspect Crucial M500 doesnt' work with Windows 8 or motherboard. You can read various trials I have done. This is frustrating, I can use this brand new SSD as boot drive, just second disk. I contacted Crucial support, two people, no healp

Kilobyte Kid
xp2k2k3

in reply to xp2k2k3

I solved my own problem with Asus M5A97. 

BEfore you do this, update your bios of your Asus motherboard and update firmware of Crucial M500 SSD. 

=================

Found solution. First of all, Crucial M500 SSD is not friendly with Asus M5A97. I don't want to blame either, but I installed many different SSDs with Asus M5A97 and Windows 8, didn't have this problem. 

My solution was, 

after you installed Windows 8, then it wo'nt boot, it will show 0Xc0000001. This indicates Windows boot loader has some problem, which doesn't mean installation was corrupted, but it might be disk itself. 

So,  I popped in Windows 8 installtion disk, boot to DVD, then go to Repair/Troubleshooting/Advanced/Command Prompt. 

Type 'Diskpart', 

then 'list disk'. Do you see '*' on GPT? If not, your Crucial M500 was not properly detected and formatted during Windows installation. You will change disk from MBR to GPT. 

type 'select disk #' (if you have multiple disks, to be safe, get rid of all data disks, have only Crucial M500 disk)

type 'clean' (will wipe out all)

type 'convert gpt'

type 'create partition primary'

That's it, don't format, don't create volume. You won't be able to fix the problem. 

Type 'exit' to exit out diskpart. 

Then, change directory to your Windows 8 installation media  'B:'

Type 'setup'

When you get to the part of selecting partition, select the partition you created in diskpart. 

Select format

Click next after you formatted, installation should finish. 

Now see if your installation boots without 0xc0000001

I'm amazing I couldn't find exact solution online, I saw multiple posts of this error during clean installation, all of them gave up without clear solution. 

The problem is, Either Asus motherboard or Crucial M500 SSD are not working properly to boot with Windows 8, also I think either of them can fix the problem, but I highly suggest Crucial to examine this problem

Bit Baby
regom500

in reply to xp2k2k3

Actually this thread is about the laptop Q501LA and the M500 SSD - not your motherboard.

I also could not get my M500 (480GB) to work with the Q501LA and had to return it to Amazon. Not happy with the time wasted.

Gau
Binary Boss
Gau

in reply to regom500

Has anyone tried on the latest IRST drivers and MU05 firmware? I can't upgrade to MU05 right now because I can only use the M500 on USB 3.0 enclosure.

Kilobyte Kid
warbler13

[ Edited ]
in reply to regom500

Just  heads up. I finally gave up on the M500 ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor*** Cloned my Asus Q501LA hd and on the first try, boot up with no problem. I just cannot believe Crucial ssd was the problem until now. Wasted a whole week to find out that Crucial was the problem, I had suspected the Asus was the culprit.

Bit Baby
Zabalba

in reply to warbler13

I wanted to thank you for your post. I found this post through some googling. I never thought it would be the SSD that was giving me a problem. It worked everywhere else I plugged it in while I was troubleshooting for 2 whole days.

Like you I cloned the OEM HD and it worked the very first time.

Luckily this Crucial SSD works just fine on my desktop PC.

Kilobyte Kid
mjarends

in reply to warbler13

I experienced the same thing. I actually had created a similar post to this one before searching and finding your post. I am in he process of returning the drive because it's getting to the end of my RMA period. I spent two weeks off and on trying to get this to work and pulling my hair out. It was my first attempt at swapping out a HDD for an SSD and wasn't a very good experience.