Kilobyte Kid
Odai
Accepted Solution

M500 drive sleep problems

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I recently dropped well over £600 on two Crucial SSDs, one M500 240GB, and an M500 960GB, as a replacement for a previous storage configuration (a 180GB SSD and 1TB HDD).

I'm using the 240GB drive as my OS/boot drive, along with most of my applications. Main system specs are:

-Windows 7 64-bit

-Intel i7 920 at 4.4GHz

-Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard (SATA 2 only)

-nVidia 560Ti

-M500 240GB and 960GB

The reason I had to replace my original drives, was due to the failure of my original SSD (not a Crucial drive). It suffered from the well documented sleep issues associated with Sandforce controllers. Basically, upon resuming from sleep one day, the system was sluggish to respond for a few seconds, I was unable to access any files, and then the system went into a BSOD. That drive is now inaccessible and I have to RMA it, losing an awful lot of valuable data.

I went through the expense and hassle of obtaining these new Crucial drives (specifically chosen mainly to avoid Sandforce controllers), installing them, and setting up my Windows install again, along with any data, applications etc I had backed up. I was fairly happy with the performance (the less than amazing transfer speeds on these drives were overshadowed by using the bottleneck that is SATA2 on my aging motherboard).

You can imagine my horror when, after only two weeks or so, I was presented with a BSOD after resuming Windows from Sleep. I thought it was a one time event, as subsequent attempts at resuming the system from Sleep mode went fine. However, another two weeks later, the problem has worsened to the extent that I now have this issue every single time I put the system in Sleep mode. Every time I try to resume the system, the system will be sluggish, fail to open any files (I instead get an empty Windows Explorer box) for a few seconds, and then BSOD.

I've now stopped using Sleep mode completely in the fear of ruining the drives permanently and losing my data.

Is there any software issue that could be causing this? Or is the drive beginning to fail already? Could it be a firmware issue?

I'm praying that this is a fixable problem, it would be a nightmare to say the least to go through transferring all my data again!

Here are photos taken of the kinds of BSODs I get with this issue (apologies for the poor perspective/quality, they were taken in a rush on my phone):

http://i.imgur.com/j9SBNQk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1A5hMpb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vkRxi64.jpg

I would greatly appreciate any help in solving this problem.

Thanks

Odai.  

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I am using AHCI connectivity.

Bit Baby
gregzoll_1

Re: M500 drive sleep problems

afd.sys is the Atheros Network controller, not the hard drive.  I do not think that it is your hard drives, since you have had the issue with two different brands, it is a issue with something else.  Also, where or who stated that the SSD's that you are using are causing a blue screen when the machine goes to sleep?  Rarely is it a hard drive that will cause it, it will be drivers for devices.

There is WhoCrashed, which you can download from http://www.majorgeeks.com and it will read the .dmp file to give you an easier to understand format and what is exactly causing the issue.  Also download UniBlue's Driver scanner software, to make sure all drivers for your system are up to date.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Are you using Intel Rapid Storage Tech drivers?  I experience the same if I use driver versions 11.5 or newer on a sata 2 board with Windows 7.  I can use the new drivers on Windows 8 but I have to use 11.2 on Windows 7.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
Odai

Thanks for the responses guys.

Gregzoll_1, the symptoms are almost identical to the issue I had with my previous SSD, and I therefore assumed that the Crucial drive is the problem. The only difference is that the previous SSD simply stopped working ('panic locked') after the first BSOD whereas this drive will remain detectable after a BSOD.

With regards to the network controller, the only one in my system is branded as Marvell.

Targetbsp, I am indeed using RST drivers, version 11.7. Is this a known issue with these drivers? Would I need to roll back to older ones somehow?

I notice that Intel have posted version 12.6 on their website. Would it be worth updating to this version?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]

Odai wrote:

Targetbsp, I am indeed using RST drivers, version 11.7. Is this a known issue with these drivers? Would I need to roll back to older ones somehow?

I notice that Intel have posted version 12.6 on their website. Would it be worth updating to this version?

I just installed 11.2 on top of the newer ones. Worked fine.  I think it asked me if I was sure if I wanted to use older ones.

I've not tried 12.6 and to be honest I don't think I will under Windows 7. 11.5, 11.6, 12 and 12.5 all cause me random resume crash issues.  I've kinda lost faith in updating them beyond 11.2 now!  If it ain't broke etc...

Oddly, they all do work for me on the same system under Windows 8 though.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby
migel_prado

Most of the times it really turns out to be the compatibility issues rather than controllers. Just ensure to keep the controller firmware updated & also SSD manufacturer firmware up to date as well.And yeah, FYI, SandForce second-generation processors require the bandwidth afforded to the host interface to deliver sustained sequential read/write performance up to 500 MB/s

Bit Baby
gregzoll_1

Download the Whocrashed tool from majorgeeks.com, and post the results from what it shows, from the .dmp file, when it analyzes it.

Kilobyte Kid
Odai

Many thanks for the helpful responses guys.

I did try to update RST drivers. Initially, I simply downloaded and ran the executable, which completed successfully. However, Windows didn't pick up on any changes and the driver version still showed as 11.7 on the device manager.

I tried uninstalling the Intel RST software completely (not touching the drivers, thought that would be done automatically by the uninstall program). The drivers still showed 11.7 rather than rolling back to the Win 7 default drivers however. Further, attempting to install the software again gave me a 'this platform is not supported' error box.

So instead I downloaded the actual driver files themselves and installed them manually through the device manager ('have disk' option, then Intel 5 series 6 port AHCI controller etc). 

The driver version now shows as 12.6, however the device name has changed from 'Intel ICH10R SATA controller' to 'Intel(r) 5 series 6 port sata ahci controller'.

The sleep problems have now disappeared thankfully. So either updating the controller drivers fixed the problem, or removing the RST software was what solved it (I neglected to test the issue between uninstalling Intel RST application and updating the drivers manually unfortunately).

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Hi Odai,

I'm happy to hear that you have resolved the problems you were having.  It could have been a combination of both things that resolved it but thanks for posting your results as it will be good for anyone else who may come across the same problems.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service