Kilobyte Kid
piner

M550 format and drive recognition issues; Dell Inspiron3847

Crucial Support Forums:

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 3847 PC running Windows 7 64 bit, Home Premium and I am having an extremely difficult time getting a supplemental SSD drive to be recognized by the operating system and formatted. This SSD is a Crucial M550 CT256M55 disk.

Steps that I have taken:

1. Physically connected the Crucial M550 CT256M55 disk to the SATA bus.

2. Powered the system on.

3. The Crucial M550 CT256M55 disk is properly detected in the “Device Manager” and it is reported that the disk is functioning properly.

4. Started the “Intel Rapid Storage Technology” tool. This tools also properly detects the M550 CT256M55 disk and reports it as healthy. (Also updated to latest software version 12.9.1.1001)

5. Went to the “Computer” tab and the original, stock, 1TB Hard drive is detected as well as the original DVD drive. However, the M550 CT256M55 disk is not detected.

6. I then go to the “Computer Management” tool and under the “Storage” tab I selected “Disk Management”.

7. The “Disk Management” tool also properly detects the M550 CT256M55 disk. However, when I try to format the drive, I originally got a crash, BSOD, with the message that is something like “IRQL_GT_ZERO_SYSTEM” and a lot of text that moves too fast too read. I then changed the disk to a dynamic drive and tried to format. This time I get the message:

“An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log of more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.”

1. Restarted computer. Same problems

2. I then proceeded to upgrade the BIOS, H81 Chipset software. Same issues.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to get this SSD (M550 CT256M55) to be recognized in the “Computer” tab and how I can get it formatted.

Thanks in advance.

piner

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: M550 format and drive recognition issues; Dell Inspiron3847

in reply to piner

You say the computer is new, has it updated to SP1 yet?  Windows 7 requires SP1 (or a hotfix) to support advanced format drives.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
piner

in reply to targetbsp

Yes, the system came from Dell with Service Pack 1 installed. I received this PC around 4/1/7/14.   I have tried moving the SATA cable to other SATA ports on the motherboard.  When I did that, I could then "see" the drive in the Computer Tab, but got the BSOD with the IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE message when trying to format the drive.

After that failure, the system rebooted.  Then the drive was no longer visible in the Computer Tab, but was still detected in the Device Manager, Computer Management, and the Intel Rapid  Storage Management tools. 

I did find something odd and maybe you can comment on this.  I checked Device Manager for the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controller" on the device "Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller for the driver version.  The driver version is 12.7.3.1001, dated 7/24/2013.  I find this peculiar because I thought I had upgraded that by running the Dell updated Chipset driver package,"Chipset_Intel_WIN_A01_Setup-9X4VP_ZPE", which I downloaded from the Dell support website based on my Service Tag number.  That leads me to believe that I have the right package.  

I really appreciate anything you folks can do to help me.  This problem has been going on for 2 weeks now.

Thanks again.

piner

SODIMM Sherpa
Derek_S

in reply to piner

piner wrote: "I then changed the disk to a dynamic drive and tried to format."
Hello piner - Are you planning to use this drive as part of a raid array? If not, then what you should do is set up this disk as a "basic" disk, not a "dynamic" disk. Here is a link detailing what to do, scroll down to Option 2, "How to Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk using Windows Disk Management" and follow the instructions. Here is the link: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26829-convert-dynamic-disk-basic-disk.html
Kilobyte Kid
piner

in reply to Derek_S

Very strange at this point.  I powered system on, now the drive is "Basic".  I then try the following again:

1. Go to Computer Management then Disk Management.

2. The SSD disk shows "Basic" , "Online", and now I try to format.

3. I right click on the SSD and select "Format".

4. Now I get the :

"An unexpected error has occurred.  Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Managment console, then retart Disk Management or restart the computer."

Not sure where to turn next.  I am considering maybe just formatting the SSD with an NTFS file format on my old Windows XP system.  Never had this much trouble until I upgraded to Windows 7.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated because at this point I am stuck.

Thanks

piner

Kilobyte Kid
piner

in reply to piner

Not planning onusing this disk as part of an RAID array.  Just a supplemental data disk with no OS running in which to install my games.

piner

SODIMM Sherpa
Derek_S

[ Edited ]
in reply to piner

OK, we are dealing with a basic disk here. If Windows Disk Management cannot format this drive, it is time to consider using something else. Here is the link to download Mini Tool Partition Wizard: http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

There are three options here: download and install the regular version to your current hard drive containing Windows, or download and burn the bootable version to CD or DVD. Or install the bootable version to a USB stick using Rufus. http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Just one thing piner, be careful here. Partition Wizard is a very powerful partitioning utility capable of doing many things. If you have never used it before, please read the instructions on their website first. Then go slowly and be absolutely sure you are working on the correct disk and not the one containing your current operating system. I'd hate to see you format the wrong disk by mistake.

Kilobyte Kid
piner

in reply to Derek_S

OK.  I will give that a try.  

Thanks

piner

Kilobyte Kid
piner

in reply to Derek_S

This appears to have been successful.  I used the MiniTool to partition the SSD 

but it still did not show up again in the Computer Tab.  I then swapped the SATA cables around on the motherboard and piwered the system up. Upon reboot, the newly formatted SSD now shows up in the Computer Tab!  

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

piner

Kilobyte Kid
piner

in reply to piner

I spoke too soon.  The MiniTool partitioning did work and the SSD drive did become visible in the Computer Tab screen and I was able to format it.  However, when I try to install programs to the SSD drive I now get another, different BSOD.  It feels like it is a storage controller driver problem, but I can't seem to get the Intel 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI controller driver updated from the current version of 12.7.3.1001 to the latest version, 10.0.13.  I used the Dell provided package, Chipset_Driver_9X4VP_WN_10.0.13_A01.EXE, and the installation completed successfully.  I reboot and the driver is still 12.7.3.1001 for the Intel 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI controller.  At this point I just have to accept the fact that this drive is not going to work in my PC and that I am out $200.  Thanks to all of you who tried to help me.

piner