Kilobyte Kid
picnic
Accepted Solution

MBP Mid 2010 doesn't see M500 960GB when installed in the internal HD bay

I've just taken delivery of a shiny new 960GB SSD to mate with my MBP (15" i5 running Mavericks ) I followed a guide on the Apple site

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4741

and verified the MBP would boot from the SSD while still attached to the USB-SATA adapter. All looked good but when I put the SSD in the MBP all I get is a flashing folder with a ? in it. If I press Option Key at boot time I only get a Network Option. No list of drives to boot from. 

If I leave the SSD in the MBP and put the existing, and working, spinner in the USB-SATA adapter and press the Option Key I still don't get a list of drives to boot from. If the drives are the other way around this works as expected and I get the choice of internal spinner or external SSD to boot from.

Finally I put the SSD in the laptop's HD bay and tried to install Lion from a DVD. This can't install as there apears to be no drive to install to :smileysad:

I've upgraded the SSD's firmware to MU03 and it's made no difference, still boots from the adapter, not seen if in the internal HD bay.

Any clues as to what's going wrong?

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: MBP Mid 2010 doesn't see M500 960GB when installed in the internal HD bay

Hi picnic,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your SSD.  Before you can use your SSD in your Mac system you have to initialize the drive. 

We have created a knowledge base article on how to do this and you can see it HERE.  Please let us know how it goes and if you have any other issues please don't hesitate to contact us and we would be more than happy to help. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
picnic

[ Edited ]

They are essentially the same as the instructions I followed from Apple's site. I assume I got them right as, as I said, I can see and boot off the SSD when it's in the USB adapter.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Hi picnic,

Thanks for your reply. 

You said you essentially followed the same steps, can you follow them exactly as detailed on the link I sent you?

We need to make sure it's the same steps that are being followed exactly as listed on our step by step guide.  When an SSD cannot be located within a Mac system it's usually down to one of two things.  Either the drive is not initialized or it's not connected correctly within the system.

I would recommend trying it again and letting us know how it goes. 

Kilobyte Kid
picnic

Perhaps I should stick to Windows as I obviously can't use the OSX Disk Utility :smileysad:

When I said essentially I said that because the steps were the same, just the wording is different. But in the interests of science :smileywink: I followed your instructions with the same result.

However I have found a solution. Erase everything from the disk, so no partitions at all. Create a Time Machine backup and then install using the Internet Recovery method and the Time Machine backup.

Kilobyte Kid
rwholloway

Hello Junket,

I am having the exact same issue as the user who initiated this thread. (Although my computer is a mid 2008 Macbook Pro) Your response seems irrelevant to the quesions posed. The link you directed the user to is for using Disk Utility to initialize and partition the new drive. I have already gone through this process successfully, as has the other user in this thread, and this is not what is causing the problem. My drive has been initialized, partitioned, and successfully cloned. I know this because I have successfully booted the computer to the new drive several times, when connected externally, via USB. 

It is the INTERNAL INSTALLATION of the new drive that causes the problem. When connected via USB, the drive is recognized by the computer, and I can boot the computer using this new drive. All is well when the new M500 is connected externally.

If I install the new drive in the INTERNAL HARD DRIVE BAY, then when I try to boot up the computer, there is just a flashing icon of a folder with a question mark in it.

I have also tried booting up with the option key held down, which results in a blank white screen, and no activity whatsoever...

Please do not send a response to this thread that says anything along the lines of "make sure the drive is connected correctly". Connecting the drive to the computer is as simple as looking at the wiring, and seeing which way it will fit on the drive. It only goes one way, and I'm quite sure I pressed it on hard enough (all the way in...). 

I would like someone from Crucial to address what seems to be a compatibility issue, or some sort of inability of the drive to be properly accessed through the Macbook Pro's INTERNAL HARD DRIVE CONNECTION CABLE.

If you do not have an answer to THIS QUESTION, could you refer it to someone who might be able to help?

Thanks.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

HI rwholloway,

First of all I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your SSD.

I made suggestions based on past issues we had seen which was actually down to the cable connecting the SSD internally within some Mac systems.  We always base our trouble shooting steps on different things we know to have helped with similar issues in the past.

I have checked the sales and return rates for our M500 range against Apple systems and there are very few returns.  We actually have a MacBook Pro in the office that is running with an M500 internally no problem at all.  What we do need is as much details about your system as possible so we can look in to what is causing these issues.

Can you confirm the screen size and also the processor speed of your MBP?

What version of OSX do you have installed?

What firmware version do you have installed on the SSD?

I can guarantee that our SSD drives are compatible with Mac systems so what we need to do is look at why it's not working with your specific set up.  If you could provide us with as much details as possible that would be brilliant.

Once again I am sorry for the problems you have had and we will certainly investigate this further for you. 

Kilobyte Kid
rwholloway

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I'll leave the info on my mac, firmware, etc, below, and I appreciate your looking into this.

Model: Macbook Pro 15", 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

I'm running OS X Mavericks

SSD Firmware: MU03

I tried a solution that was proposed by another user, namely installing the SSD internally, then booting up to an externally connected hard drive, and trying to do a recovery from a Time Machine Backup. When I attempted this, the computer was able to recognize the SSD as an internally installed drive for the first time. However, when I tried to do the recovery, it said there was a problem doing the install, and I was unable to proceed...

Over the phone today, someone from Crucial Tech Support recommend using SuperDuper to clone the drive, instead of Disk Utility, which I used for the previous cloning. However, I was unable to find a version of Super Duper that was up to date enough to handle OS X Mavericks. Any other recommendations in this area...?

Thanks!

Robin

Binary Boss
GrySql

Use Carbon Copy Cloner, it is Mavericks certified and worked for a M500 clone in my 2010 iMac.  I enabled Checksum in the Advanced options so every file was checked.

Kilobyte Kid
rwholloway

Hello,

Thanks GrySql for the recommendation. I tried using CCC earlier today, with the same result unfortunately. I suppose I could run it again with Checksum enabled, but I get the feeling it's not the files on the drive that are the problem. The drive boots up normally when connected via USB. I went to the Apple store in my area today, and they recommended CCC, and walked me through the necessary steps to perform a successful clone. But I still just get a flashing folder icon with a question mark when I install the drive internally. No response from the system at all, until I push the power button to turn the machine off. I've tried the Time Machine Backup recovery option, and I've erased and reformatted and partitioned the drive two or three times, making sure to get all the parameters right...

Does anyone from Crucial have any more input on this? Otherwise I will have no choice but to return the drive, and seek a refund.

Thanks,

Robin