Kilobyte Kid
ncolarusso
Accepted Solution

Mac Mini and M500 Firmware upgrade

Hi

Has anyone succeeded in upgrading to the most recent firmware? I boot from CD and get a blank screen (black). When I hit option at bootup my choices are the SSD, Recovery and a CD called Windows. I assume it is the CD I have to boot from and after a few seconds I get a black screen.

Woulc appreciate any help. USing a Mac Mini late 2011

ffg
Kilobyte Kid
ffg

Re: Mac Mini and M500 Firmware upgrade

I've just done the MU-03 firmware update for my M500 SSD's on a MacPro. It wasn't easy, but it does fix the slow boot time issue (at least for me).

If ytou've already downloaded the firmware update you should have a file called 

crucial-m500-1.MU03.03.S0.iso

Using Disk Utility, burn this file onto a blank CD using the Restore option.

Put this into your Mac drive and power down.  Power up holding the C key down, release it as soon as you get the Crucial black screen.  If a row of cccccc's appear, backspace delete them.  The Firmware upgrade should then automatically open.  Follow the instructions carefully (type yes when prompted and hit return ).  If you have more than one SSD, it completes the first then asks again if you want to update the second.

Once everything is complete, hold down the power button to reset the computer.  Power up as usual and if necessary re-select the SSD as boot drive from System Prefs.

Crucial should really make this process more Mac friendly.  I eventually found the instructions after chasing a lot of dead ends.  The PDF they point you to is useless as it relates to Windows.

Kilobyte Kid
ncolarusso

[ Edited ]

That is precisely what I have done, except restoring to CD (disk utility does not accept blank CD as a restore destination). When booting from CD all I get is a blank screen. I also used the method by pressing option and choosing the CD as boot device. Screen goes blank. 

Tried it on 2 systems and get same results.

Downloaded and burned 6 CDs to make sure no glitch. Same results.

ffg
Kilobyte Kid
ffg

Have you tried booting with the C key held down instead of Alt? That did it for me. It forces the Macx to boot from the CDROM

Kilobyte Kid
ncolarusso

After having contacted Crucial (their solution is to take apart my mac mini and install on a windoze computer , which I got rid of in 2006), I decided to unplug all external drives. This worked. Update worked correctly.

If having the same problem, just unplug all external devices, except CD drive and it should work.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Hi ncolarusso,

Thank you for letting us know that you were able to resolve the issue you were experiencing with updating the firmware by unplugging your external drives. I am happy that you were able to update everything properly. Please let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
ffg
Kilobyte Kid
ffg

Glad you got it sorted out.

Kilobyte Kid
wtzouris

So what if my computer is a MacBook Pro Retina without CD drive -- will the firmware work with a USB SuperDrive?

Kilobyte Kid
wtzouris

So I borrowed my wife's computer with CD-Drive, and I got it to Boot in DOS using the .iso file upgrader, but can I upgrade the Crucial M500 SSD when using it in an external USB enclosure copnnected to this computer?   Or does it have to be the main hard drive  on the computer?  The DOS updater says "No eligible SSDs were found"

I also have a Newer Technology Voyager USB 3.0/eSata/FW800 dock.  Would that work?

-William

Kilobyte Kid
hijglander

[ Edited ]

Usualy firmware updates can only be performed if the drive is connected to the internal SATA port. I can think of a number of reasons why this wouldn't work via USB, the most likely culprit being able to send specific commands via SATA that are just not available via USB, but that would be speculation on my part.

If possible you should attach the drive to a SATA port.