Binary Boss
clifforama

PSID reset on M500

If for whatever reason I want to perform a PSID reset on the M500, how would I go about doing that? I've heard mention that it's not possible -- is that true? And if so, will that be rectified in the future?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: PSID reset on M500

in reply to clifforama

What's a PSID?  Google wasn't any help for a definition. :smileyvery-happy:

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
clifforama

in reply to targetbsp

Every M500 has a PSID printed on its label. If anything ever goes wrong and you get locked out of your drive, performing a PSID reset / revert should bring the drive back to its factory default state. You will of course lose access to any data that was on the drive, but you can at least re-use the drive.

I don't actually know how one would perform a PSID revert. Presumably via some software (launched via bootable USB?) that would ask you to type in the PSID printed on the drive label, but that's just a guess. Crucial doesn't seem to offer any utilities with the M500, nor offer any guidance as to how to make use of the PSID, so I don't really know.

FYI, PSID apparently stands for "Physical Presence SID", whatever that means :smileywink:

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to clifforama

I've never heard of this which suggests it's never been mentioned on here before (as I read everything) so you'll likely have to contact Crucial support for help rather than be able to find it on here.

Looks like it stands for physical security ID in this instance: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6884/crucial-micron-m500-review-960gb-480gb-240gb-120gb/2

Binary Boss
clifforama

in reply to targetbsp

Well, I don't actually have any immediate need for its use -- I'm just thinking ahead. I originally read about it in the same AnandTech article you linked to. I must have missed where PSID stands for "Physical Security ID" which makes much more sense to me :smileywink:

My main concerns about requiring the use of PSID revert stem from these posts:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/M500-problem-with-Bitlocker-encryption/m-p/134361...

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/2nd-M500-Win-8-1-kills-ATA-cmds-including-Secure-...

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/New-M500-Can-t-Secure-erase-No-security-set-featu...

That last post is marked as solved, but it's not really. The poster worked around the problem (of having ATA security feature set disabled) by obtaining a new drive in factory default state and avoiding the use of Windows 8.1, using Windows 7 instead. That's not a feasible solution for some users, myself included.

My hope is that being able to perform a PSID revert would resolve those issues.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to clifforama

From the article, it sounds to me that all it does is reset your drive password if you forget it?  Whilst wiping the data obviously or the reset would be a security risk.

Binary Boss
clifforama

in reply to targetbsp

My understanding is that a PSID revert is supposed to revert the drive to factory default state. So if you've accidentally locked yourself out (via TPM clearing for example, as this person did), then you can regain the use of the drive. For the M500 specifically, based on various forum messages, it sounds like using Windows 8.1 somehow disables the ATA security feature set. Thus, if a PSID revert really does revert to factory default state, then hopefully that would also re-enable the ATA security feature set.

Btw, I'm not saying that the M500 is behaving incorrectly in disabling the ATA security. For all I know, that could be standard behaviour -- that is, perhaps if OPAL locking is enabled, then ATA security should be disabled. I really don't know. All I know is that it would be nice if I could easily revert the drive to factory default with ATA security feature set intact, especially if, down the road, I give the drive to someone else.

McAfee has a brief mention of PSID revert which seems to corroborate my understanding that it should return the drive to factory default state: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3280

(Yes, it occurs to me that perhaps one could use McAfee's product to perform a PSID revert, but I think their encryption soutions are intended for larger businesses or corporations, and is probably overkill [and prohibitively expensive] to obtain just to perform a PSID revert on an individual drive. As an end user, I don't even know how I would obtain such software [although admittedly I haven't looked very hard].)

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to clifforama

I am not sure how old PSID revert idea is but it seems to me it is something relatively new. clifforama, I would suggest asking Anand about that, maybe he has been able to investigate it little further :smileyhappy:

Binary Boss
lahma

in reply to bogdan

Crucial,

Can you please provide your customers with a PSID reset/revert tool? It would seem reasonable that Crucial would warn you about Windows automatically PERMANENTLY disabling your ATA Security Mode feature set... I have 3 1TB m500's sitting here, that are useless....

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to lahma

lahma wrote:

Crucial,

Can you please provide your customers with a PSID reset/revert tool?

I am in favor of that.