Binary Boss
qweoiuqweoiu

SSD cant be detected on bios

[ Edited ]

ive bought my Crucial M4 last november and it worked great for the first month after that the "bootmgr is missing" error started appearing.. ive been searching about this error ever since and tried some solutions that was suggested by other people.. 

first thing i tried was to "Secure Erase and Reset the SSD back to Factory Condition." then reinstall my OS.. this didnt work. next was to update my BIOS and SSD firmware this worked but then after 2 months the same error started appearing again, so i decided to update my BIOS and SSD firmware again. this time it didnt work.. so i searched for another way to fix this problem and find this: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from... this procedure works after doing it my SSD gets detected again but after a few days it just disappears again and i have to do the same methods all over again.. now this error just keeps on happening like thrice a week and its starting to get really annoying.. any other methods of fixing this??

Edit: if it matters my MB is a Asus sabertooth z77

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: SSD cant be detected on bios

in reply to qweoiuqweoiu

Please post CrystalDiskInfo screenshot for this drive (just be careful to deny permission to install any ads during setup).

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
qweoiuqweoiu

in reply to bogdan

i posted a screenshot an hour ago and i think my reply got deleted.. is it against the rules to post screenshots here?

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]
in reply to qweoiuqweoiu

I don't think so :smileyhappy: but all pictures are moderated anyway so we have to wait a while before we see them. Also please note that you should hide serial number of your drive prior making a screenshot.

You can link your screenshot with other media hosting service like http://imgur.com/ or http://imageshack.us/

Binary Boss
qweoiuqweoiu

in reply to bogdan

here it is.. 

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to qweoiuqweoiu

The drive looks fine here.  It's logged a LOT of power losses for a desktop though!  And from the article you linked: "A sudden power loss is most common cause for a system to fail to recognize an SSD"

If you live somewhere with unreliable power than a UPS (uninteruptable power supply) would be a good investment.

If your computer is generally unstable and crashes frequently then your goal should be to resolve that to sort out the disappearing hard drive.  ie. if it's overclocked - reduce the overclock.  Otherwise try to diagnose which component is causing the crashes.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to targetbsp

Good point. I would try to check motherboard's manual and BIOS settings too. 

This motherboard has two SATA chipsets:

Chipset Intel Z77
- 2 x SATA 6Gb/s ports, brown
- 4 x SATA 3Gb/s ports, black
ASMedia ASM1061
- 2 x SATA 6Gb/s ports, gray
- 2 x eSATA 6G ports, red

I would probably connect the drive to the first brown connector. Also you could try to switch operation mode of Hot Plug option for this drive (enable it if it is disabled, disable it if it is enabled).

Binary Boss
qweoiuqweoiu

in reply to bogdan

i havent done anything with my board ever since i built this. i only enabled AHCI for the SSD and im not OCing on my PC.. about the ports I just checked and it is connected to the first brown port.. my PC is directly connected to the powerline so ill try to buy UPS today and observe if this would fix my problem.. thanks for the help ill be posting back again if it dont fix the problem..

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to qweoiuqweoiu

Please check the "Hot Plug" option in your BIOS before buying a UPS :smileywink:

Binary Boss
qweoiuqweoiu

in reply to bogdan

i remember disabling hotplug then enabling it again a couple of times before.. but okay ill check that too