Binary Boss
feffer
Accepted Solution

TRIM and garbage collection

In current Linux kernels the TRIM function is enabled when the proper flag is set in the /etc/fstab file. There is also a way to verify that TRIM is working (see site: enabling TRIM in Linux ). On my C300 Crucial SSD, this test showed that TRIM was working. My question is about the Crucial "garbage collection" feature. Isn't this unnecessary if TRIM is working? Or is it still useful to do this?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: TRIM and garbage collection

It'll cover you in times such as during re-installs when you're not in a trim enabled environment and before you've set that flag. When you say 'is it useful to do this' - it's completely automated as part of the firmware.  You can't do anything with it.  There's other maintenance the drive does automatically in its down time too such as static wear levelling.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
feffer

My original post question was answered, but perhaps I described it wrong. An article here described a process of "resetting" the SSD by only attaching the power connector only (not the SATA connector), booting the machine and letting it alone for 8 hours (overnight). Tech support also mentioned this and said it fixes 80% of the sudden power off issues on SSDs -- those responsible for OS freezes. Is this different from "garbage collection?" Is this technique unique to Crucial SSDs or a common thing?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Ah I see.  That article is using the garbage collection basically as a maintence measure when something has gone wrong with the drive.  At least one other major SSD manufacturer has a similar procedure - it's simply a diagnostic step rather than something you need to do.  I've got an M225, 2 x C300's and an M500 and I've never had to carry out that procedure.  Natural down time during coffee and food breaks has always been adequate to keep my system in line.  Even when you're using the computer - it's not like you're loading and saving all the time so the drive should get breaks to look after itself.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
feffer

OK, got it. I've been using a pair of Crucial C-300 SSDs for over two years. One has a Win7 OS and the other 3 Linux distros. Data is all on a spinning HDD. Still learning about the best way to maintain my mixed environment machine. Thx for explaining.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Hi guys,

Thanks for providing feffer with some answers to his questions about TRIM and Garbage Collection. 

If you need any other help at all feffer please don't hesitate to contact us and we would be more than happy to help.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service