Kilobyte Kid
MichaelD11
Accepted Solution

Total Host Writes M500

Hello

I have one SSD crucial M500 240 GB as my main drive for a Laptop. CrystalDiskInfo shows 440 GB at Total Host Writes and 138Hours Power ON

I did 2 clean instalation of Windows 8 and then updated to 8/1. Instaled a couple of little programs and a game WOT.

I have sys restore off, hibernate off. Did not modify the rest(pagefile, superfetch,prefetch etc.)

My question is why Total Host Writes continue to grow every hour without writing nothing to disk.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Total Host Writes M500

in reply to MichaelD11

You can use sysinternals process monitor to see what's writing to your disk if you wish.  It's under view -> select columns -> process i/o

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
MichaelD11

in reply to targetbsp

nothing seems to be writing on SSD. Is CrystalDiskInfo accurate?

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]
in reply to MichaelD11

Something should be writing to the main drive:smileyhappy: Try to check it according to this article.

CrystalDiskInfo seems to be accurate but sometimes some bugs can happen indeed. The other software that can monitor disk activity (but only speeds and amount of writes and reads) is Hard Disk Sentinel - http://www.hdsentinel.com/ I think it uses part of system routines for this monitoring so it should be accurate too.

On a side note my systems writes roughly about 1GB each hour and I think it is related to network activity and logging from system and IS bundle, and other regular activity of course. 

Also I didn't monitor that but I believe that update from 8 to 8.1 could be a major contributor to disk writes. I have done it on one system and it has downloaded few GBs of data and then the process took about 2-3 hours on laptop's HDD, no kidding. I guess it wasn't sitting idle during that time... :smileylol:

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
MichaelD11

in reply to bogdan

thanks for info. My ssd writes the same aprox 1gb/hour thought it was a problem with mine.